Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aligning a cylinder with a cube

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
cptwinder
1296 Views, 8 Replies

Aligning a cylinder with a cube

What is the best way for me to close this gap between my bearings component and my square tubing component?

Untitled.png

I have attempted to move and snap them; however, I couldn't seem to get the center of the move widget on the edge of my cylinder. 

I added a tangent construction plane to the bearing component. But when I tried the move and snap the plane moved not the bearing. I did have move component selected in the move helper window.

I attempted to use align several different ways, none of them seemed to work.

I have no tried using joints because ultimately the joint will be these bearing sliding up and down the tube.

What am I missing?

Thank you in advance,

Jeremy

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
garin
in reply to: cptwinder

This does bring up one of the areas we need to improve on the move/align commands.

One way to "close the gap" between the bearing and the tube is to turn on contact and drag the bearing over to the tube until it comes in contact and stops. You may want to add a slider joint between the dace flat face of the bearing and the outer face of the tube to keep it in collinear to the tubes face. 

To turn on contact go to the Assemble drop town and "Enable Contact Sets" then in the browser Right Click on "Contact Sets" and select "New Contact Set". You can then select the two components (Bearing & Tube) that you want to touch one another. Select Ok and then drag the bearing over to the tube till it comes in contact. 

Hope that helps a little.

Message 3 of 9
cptwinder
in reply to: garin

Thank you for the reply; however, I did as you suggested with no joy.

Here is a screenshot of the contact set:

Screen Shot 2013-11-11 at 4.18.49 PM.png

And here is a screenshot after moving the bearings:

Screen Shot 2013-11-11 at 4.21.08 PM.png

Thank you again!

Jeremy

Message 4 of 9
AndrewSears

Jeremy,

Can you add me to your group so I can look at the file?  Send the invite to andrew.sears@autodesk.com.

I am unable to reproduce the behavior you get.  I downloaded the same McMaster Carr bearings you show in the model.

Thanks,

Andy 

Message 5 of 9
cptwinder

I invited you to my group and design. Hopefully you can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Thank you!!

Jeremy

Message 6 of 9
AndrewSears

I added comments on your activity feed.  You should have received an email notification and you should be able to find the feed.  If you did not we should explore that next!!

I found the same strange behavior with your model.  To remedy this, ground each tube.  The behavior you were getting is coming from a result of the contact solver trying to move another component.  This was causing long pauses and the interference you got.  We have more work to do on handling contacts in Fusion.  Thanks for pointing this out.

I grounded the tubes in your model and the contacts were working great and fast.  Let me know if you are getting different behavior on your machine.

Thanks,

Andy 

Message 7 of 9
cptwinder
in reply to: AndrewSears

It is working great. Thank you! I'll remember to ground some component first.

As for the email notification when you posted a message to my group. I can see it in my dashboard; but did not recieve an email notification. Is this a setting someplace I may have turned off?

Thank you again,

Jeremy

Message 8 of 9
AndrewSears

My apologies but the software is changing so much that I sometimes loose track of what is implemented, removed, made up in my head, or coming into a future release.  🙂  I will check on the email notification at work tomorrow to see if we are still sending with changes to the activity feed and what the rules are.  I know we are getting emails after translating a file into Fusion.  This might be another area for improvement if replies are not coming to you.

Glad to know you saw the reply in the activity feed still. 

Can you check if this box is checked?

notifications on.png

Thanks,

Andy 

Message 9 of 9
cptwinder
in reply to: AndrewSears

I do have it checked.

Thank you again for your help

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report