Community
Showcase Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Showcase Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Showcase topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new cad machine graphics question

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
warrentdo
548 Views, 6 Replies

new cad machine graphics question

Has any one any opinions on the The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti

It seams to tick all the boxes and has one of the highest g3d pass marks, even faster than the k6000. I know it not all about g3d but all opinions welcomed.

Regards

Warren.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: warrentdo

I depends are you gonna be hardware rendering or ray trae rendering?

If your going hardware rendering, then the GTX 780 ti is a good option.

Its been my personal opnion that gaming graphics cards provide just as much performance compared to a workstation Quadro card plus its a little cheaper than Quadro cards.

On a side note, if your rendering for long periods of time the card will get very hot.

Overall, id say the gaming graphics cards are good enough.

Message 3 of 7
MarionLandry

HI,

We recommend avoiding any Graphic cards that are design for gaming. The architecture of the card is completely different and terefore not recommended to run a 3d application such as Showcase. You can review the list of certified and recommended graphic cards here: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/syscert?siteID=123112&id=18844534

Also watch these two video that give great comparison:

http://youtu.be/zjof3Cpenbg

http://youtu.be/S-S2JXKE6vA

Marion

Message 4 of 7
warrentdo
in reply to: MarionLandry

Hello Marion,

I've had a look on the autodesk link and the k (keplar) cards are not on yet,

. I do understand the NVidia open gl debate against direct x that has been going on for years. Does showcase use direct x? We have the same debate with inventor. Its just that buying a £1600 k5000 is to much money for me to pay for a personal card, but the bench marks say that the 780 to beats it hands down. I know the drivers are better written and tested but a 780 ti to is about £650. Has anyone got one working with showcase?

Thank you again for your help.

Warren.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: MarionLandry

Is the graphics card used solely for the use of interacting with the model?
I know that workstation graphics are needed, but considering that such Quadro k5000 goes for $1,000+, its easily scrapped for a gaming graphics card thats 1/2 or even 1/4th the price of a Quadro. This is especially true, when your under a tight budget.

In terms of Ray tracing, the Quadro gfx card have an actually benefit/improvment on rendering times correct?

Message 6 of 7
warrentdo

Hello,

The machine will be used with Inventor, Autocad, showcase and a little max if I get around to max.

A few of the guys on the inventor forum use the 780 ti and they seem fine.

The K5000 is around £1600.

But I thought thats why Autodesk moved from open gl to direct X.

Its the great open gl versus direct X debate 🙂

I may bump the log on the inventor forum just to make sure.

What we really need is a test on inventor and showcase between the k5000 verses 780 ti or the new amd 290 cards.

I may start some post asking who is running what.

Regards.

Warren.

Message 7 of 7
cikho

the problem here is that is likely that the driver for such card will make showcase crash..

i always state this without trying it, but after a certain version of nvidia gaming drivers a few months ago, it was impossible to actually run showcase.

i would like to give it a try in the next few weeks so this is confirmed ultimately, but what i can tell you is that none of the staff members here have ever ruled out this fact after months that we keep saying it happens, but i guess that if the problem was solved, since it was pointed out many times here in this forum, at least someone would have told us "hey, look, the problem was solved in the 37x.xx driver from nvidia in december" for example. i don't see a reason why they should not tell us, they don't actually gain money if nvidia sells a 5000$ card or a 1200$ one.. i understand that supported drivers cause less isuess, but between  having people only buying showcase because they can afford both the software and the driver, and having pepole not buying it because it doesn't work with hi-end gaming hardware there's a middle point in which people buy the software with non certificated hardware that still works but non in the intended way, and may generate a few complaints from the customer saying "hey it doesn't have 60FPS"..(provided that showcase NEVER runs at 60FPS, even in the z850 with 16Gb of ram and quadro 4000 i have at work)

honestly, i think a 1500$ nvidia gtx690 would perform 10 times better than a quadro 2000 and they cost almost the same..

but we in the forum community never had an answer in this sense, which doesn't mean there's no answer, but it means it is up to you (us) to try if it works, how it works, and with what driver version could work..

up to now, my gt630M (which is a low-mid end GF card, plus is for laptop combined with the intel hd4000 so even worse) is running showcase pretty well with driver 306.23.

but runs like crap with 3ds max, pro-engineer, autocad and autodesk alias..

running a newer gaming card like the 7xx series in such out dated driver, honestly, i don't see it as a good idea..

almost a showcase PRO user 😛

if you find my post useful, please give kudos or mark as solution 😄

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report