Community
Showcase Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Showcase Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Showcase topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simulating cast aluminum

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
820 Views, 4 Replies

Simulating cast aluminum

So im having trouble finding a stock material that Showcase offers that resembles close to Cast Aluminum that has been powder coated paint.

I can get the color pretty close, but the images look rather fake since they are very smooth in texture. Whenever i try to add a texture file i cant edit the color of my part, and my part takes on teh color of the texture file.

Has ayone done something like this?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
MarionLandry
in reply to: Anonymous

HI,

If you are trying to create custom materials, use the Showcase material to start with. The Showcase materials are much more customizable and will gibe you better result. You can watch my videos on that here:

http://youtu.be/flxxxUCuVGA

http://youtu.be/KkED6Ujp_NE

Message 3 of 5
cikho

shwocase has a tool to actually recolor your texture..

the problem is that it fully works for white areas of white inside the texture, and it doesn't change the color for the black one..

so, if you intend to use a teture that you want to recolor to obtain a certain effect, it is better to have it in greyscale, and also the black should not be fully black, so the image has to be a little bit shifted in lightness..

otherwise, if the effect you need is just shadows and highlights, is better to use a bump map, which is actually a normal map in showcase.

the difference is that the bump uses greyscale to apply modifications on the eflecrtion (this is a very simplifyed statement) while the normal map uses RGB to defin UVW modifications.

almost a showcase PRO user 😛

if you find my post useful, please give kudos or mark as solution 😄
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: MarionLandry

Thanks!!! I created a custom material. The problem I'm now having is that th material wraps on the model awkwardly. Some parts look like the material is stretching a lot, others it looks like the material is compressed and there seems to be no "bump" effetct to it.
Message 5 of 5
cikho

what kind of projection did you used?

is the bump texture switched on?

almost a showcase PRO user 😛

if you find my post useful, please give kudos or mark as solution 😄

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report