Community
Showcase Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Showcase Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Showcase topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2012 assembly import problems

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
LiquidHelium
916 Views, 2 Replies

Inventor 2012 assembly import problems

Hi,

I have an Inventor 2012 assembly with standard as well as content center parts. In the Inventor assembly I have created a three quarter section view by extruding a cut through assembly components, for ray tracing purposes. Unless you have a real cut, the ray trace Inventor or Showcase will compute the full model, so the sectioning in Showcase is not an option.

The model looks perfect in Inventor's modeling environment, but when Imported into Showcase, plenty of parts remain unsectioned, both content center and standard parts.

Additionally, Showcase 2013 fails to load the assembly, or even subassemblies at all, whereas 2012 load them without problem. The source files are Inventor 2012.

So to make matters worse, I first need to load everything into Showcase 2012, save, then open in 2013, and then tediously clean up geometry, some not possible.

How can I get around this? I'm assuming someone will tell me to create a STEP file, and to import that into Showcase, but what will happen to all the Inventor material definitions (e.g. colors) and threaded features? The assembly has about 9000 parts.

Thanks,
Sebastian

i7-3820 @ 3.6Ghz
16 GB RAM
GeForce GTX670
Win7 Enterprise SP1 X64
Inventor 2012 SP2
Showcase 2012 SP1 & 2013 SP3

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
MarionLandry
in reply to: LiquidHelium

Hi,
First of all.. WOW, we don't know what that machine is but it's looking really cool!
You are exposing two challenges in your post
the first one is the fact that some of the parts remain un-sectioned. This is most likely because these parts are Arrayed in Inventor and Showcase won't recognized the cut on Array parts. This is not always the case, but we have notice irregularities with array part that are sectioned once in Showcase. We are aware of this challenge and are currently working on it.

The second challenge is that not all the content centre pieces are being imported in Showcase. We are also aware of that and are working on it. For now, I can suggest a work around that might help you. First, before you launch Showcase 2013, delete the user preferences: C:\Users\t_landm\Documents\Autodesk Showcase 2013 (just delete the complete folder)
Then, upon import, do not specify the Inventor project file, just by pass that option. See if that helps. Sometimes that solved the problem but not all the times. Hope it works for you.
Good luck
Marion
Message 3 of 3
fravat
in reply to: LiquidHelium

Hello,

An other workaround i sometimes use:

Juste create a derived part of your assembly (normaly it keep your materials / colors)
In your part:
-create sketch on good plane with two lines with 270 degres angle
-make surface extrusion of those 2 lines
-use split tools with the plane you created before

Then import part in showcase.

Hope it help

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report