Community
Showcase Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Showcase Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Showcase topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extended Materials?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
RuskinWWW
722 Views, 7 Replies

Extended Materials?

Hello. I recently installed Showcase 2013 x64 Pro, and I immediately noticed that the Extended Material Library which has always been installed since version 2010 is NOT in the latest version? Is this correct, or did I miss something?

It's a problem, because now, when I try to open my Showcase 2012 projects, if I used a material from the Extended Material Library, the bump map is not loaded because Showcase can't find the bump file.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
fravat
in reply to: RuskinWWW

For the moment this lib. is out !
Shwocase 2013 materials are completly different from versions 2012, 2011..

Every reflet materials could'nt be migrate or re used in showcase 2013...
Personnaly i have to recreat all my personnal librarie.

I think Autodesk doesn't do the work on the extended librairy.. I wish they are working on it.. but it's only a wish !
Message 3 of 8
RuskinWWW

Well, that's certainly disappointing 😞

Thanks for the reply
Message 4 of 8
MarionLandry

Hi,
You might want to consult this document to find out how you can bring the extended material library from you Showcase 2012 version:
http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/migrating-to-showcase-2013.pdf
Hope this is helpful.
Marion
Message 5 of 8
RuskinWWW
in reply to: MarionLandry

Ms. Landry,

Thank you for posting that document. It helps to understand the changes. I had already copied the extended materials from my 2012 installation just so that I could quickly output some images for Marketing. The engineers typically send me geometry from Inventor which I prepare for ads and website with Showcase. I always have to replace materials with Showcase materials, and the thought of re-doing all of that for legacy products was daunting.

Being a one-man web development and design department, you might understand why I might consider using Showcase 2012 in my tightly scheduled workflow since, it seems, some of the conveniences have been omitted from 2013.

Thanks again!
E. Sütter
Message 6 of 8
MarionLandry

Once you have reloaded the extended Material library into Showcase 2013, it will be available for every projects you are working on. This is a one time reload.
For me, the long list of improvements in of Showcase 2013, including viewport display, Ray tracing improvement, workflow in general, material quality, are far greater to outweigh the workarounds...
Marion
Message 7 of 8
liaok
in reply to: MarionLandry

It would be better if you get service pack 2 for Showcase 2013.
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=19668223&linkID=9242539
Message 8 of 8
RuskinWWW

Hello Marion,

I did understand about the one-time process, I'm sorry if I didn't communicate that properly. So, yes, I've done that and can open my old projects.

I think what's also happened here is that 2013 how outgrown my system. In 2012, I could save an image using Global Illumination - Ultimate 5"x7" @ 300dpi in just a few minutes, but in 2013, when I save an imag file using Global Illumination Interactive, it seems to hang and maxing out my CPU. I also noticed that I no longer have the Ratrace presets in 2013 like Global Illumination - Ultimate.

Some of my problem is going to also stem from my complete lack of knowledge in this area. I am a Photoshop/Illustrator/Premier/After Effects designer and was given Showcase to eliminate the need for hiring a photographer. Ideally, we would render everything in 3DS Max, but we don't have anyone on staff with that kind of experience.

Also, it was suggested to upgrade to SP2: I have done that.

Marion, thanks for your input and information. I appreciate you taking the time to assist me through these forums.
~E

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report