Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UDK Character import via FBX

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
798 Views, 2 Replies

UDK Character import via FBX

I am trying to import a character into Unreal Development Kit that I have modeled using Maya. I have applied some mocap data to my character using MotionBuilder. I found a short run, idle, jump and death sequence then applied them using the story window, plotted them to the scene and also plotted them to my characters skeleton. I saved the file as an FBX and then imported it into the Unreal Development Kit.

Everything worked great, I was able to create a material from the textures in maya and apply it to my character. When I view the animations in the UDK as expected I see on long animation that includes all of the animations that I had set up in MotionBuilder (run, idle, jump, and the death animation).

My question is how do I create individual run, idle, jump, and death animations from the imported data or am I importing the FBX data into the UKD the wrong way?

Is there a way to set up individual animation sets or takes for each animation that I want to use in MotionBuilder before I export it to UDK?
Is there a cut scene editor in UDK that I am missing?

Is anyone exporting custom characters and animations with FBX?
Anyone have the proper workflow for custom animations from FBX to UDK?
I was currious because I cannot find a copy of ActorX for Maya 2011.

Thanks

Dewdle
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I figured out a way to do it.
In the animation editor you can make a copy of the full animation to the current animation set and rename it to the clip you are going to make.
You can then scrub through your animation and clip it using the animation sequence tools.
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

God!! It so difficult to find anyone that could teach you how to import a character from maya to UDK! does the rigging needs to be made in a specific way? how do you import it to UDK? how do you export the animations? please help!! I know you've felt this way!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report