Community
Game Making Forum
Your discussion topics are welcome!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6 point intersections and above for modeling--a bad thing?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
730 Views, 3 Replies

6 point intersections and above for modeling--a bad thing?

not sure if this is the right forums, if not sorry about that and the accompanied n00b question but i searched all over the global net and cannot find the answers anywhere...

Is it bad to have intersections of at least 6 edges for building models for gaming? I finished a building but someone now tells me that i shouldnt have 6 point intersections. Is this true? Also, I made the roof and windows separate from the walls due to complexity and he tells me they must be unified as a single mesh if i want it used in gaming?? Is this true as well??

PLease help me i spent alot of time on this project only to have it uBer-DeNied 😞 !!
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Avotas
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

Every game engine has it's own limitations and drawbacks, so it is always best to create something with that in mind. However from a technical standpoint, both issues can be easily corrected. In Maya, you can select your window and wall then go to Mesh -> Combine to make it on object. For objects with more then 4 faces, that can be fixed by going to Cleanup -> Fix By Tessellation -> Faces with more then 4 sides. Similar processes are available in Max.

With that said, I don't see any problems with what you have described. Your best bet is to grab an engine and try it out!

Best Regards,

Avotas
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Avotas

awesome, thanks for the reply! It seems folks up in CG society are too good and aloof to answer questions now.
answer much appreciated :). And I assume 6 point stars are not an issue since maya doesnt have any cleanup tool for that 😕
Message 4 of 4
Avotas
in reply to: Avotas

The lack of a reply probably isn't related to stuffiness, but in the manner you asked the question. It's a very open-ended with a lot of unknown variables, so people tend to ignore it instead of leading you down a path that may cause problems later on. Screenshots help in cases of "will this work" or similar questions.

Good luck!

Avotas

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums