Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrade from imac to mac pro (black)

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
davidjahns
468 Views, 3 Replies

upgrade from imac to mac pro (black)

We built a Smoke-iMac system last year - Thunderbolt I/O, and Thunderbolt storage. We're now ready to upgrade the CPU to a MacPro - but want to keep the same TB storage - I'm hoping for the least painful way to to do that.

Would it be possible to simply copy the iMac's usr/discreet folder to the new MacPro (after installing the Smoke software)? In theory, that should transfer all of the projects and point to the same media files right? 

Any gotchas that I'm not aware of?

Also - the iMac is still running 2013, and the MacPro will be 2015.  Should I upgrade the iMac to 2015 first?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
BKM
Advisor
in reply to: davidjahns

You should just need the /project and /clips and /sw folders.  Copying everything will also copy the app install folder and your old computers network configs and other wiretap/backburner configs.

Install Smmoke on New Mac Pro

Point the install to the Autodesk Media Fodler on the TB drive - don't create a new one.
Then copy over the folders mentioned above and overwrite the ones that are there. 

That should be it, aside from createing a new user.

You may want to ask Robert if this would work, I am sure it's not supported as Archive is the supported way to do this. 

Flame/Smoke Editor
Check out the Premiumbeat Smoke Blog
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/category/smoke-2/
Message 3 of 4
davidjahns
in reply to: BKM

Thanks, Brian - forgot the app is in that folder, too - makes sense.

---
David Jahns
Joint Editorial
Portland, OR
Message 4 of 4
Robert.Adam
in reply to: davidjahns

Brian is right that this is an UNSUPPORTED approach. It might work (make sure the TB mount point is the same on the new Mac), but you may run into permissions issues when you least expect it.

The only supported approach is to archive the projects you want to keep and then restore them on the new computer.

Regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report