Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

strange "digital noise" in mudbox painting tools

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
derricknau
1018 Views, 3 Replies

strange "digital noise" in mudbox painting tools

Hi All,

I am stumped by this weird problem.  Maybe you can help.

A few bits of prerequisite information...

-UV's are good, with no overlapping, and this problem occurs no matter how the uv's are set up...

-I have my UV's set to smooth and subdivide with my model

-My paint layers are 16 bit tiffs

I have this weird "digital noise" that occurs seemingly randomly when using my wacom tablet.  I have tried my intuous 4, and my newer intuous 5, I have reinstalled drivers a number of times, and I am running mudbox student version service pack 2. 

The problem occurs when I have local mirroring on, or if I have stamp spacing on, or both.  It SEEMS to be ok when I have my stamp spacing off, and my mirroring off.  It seems to occur with all of the brush types.

Thanks!

Derrick

noise.JPG

noise2.JPG

noise3.JPG

noise4.JPG

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mrdeltoid
in reply to: derricknau

I don't think it can be drivers...you need to exclude every possible cause with a series of tests. For example try every different image format, try not saving the .mud file with the textures and instead exporting them to save them.
Make also sure that projections and stamps are off...and so on, if it doesn't happen with the mesh templates (the ones found in the create menu) then the problem might lie with your obj / uv

Message 3 of 4
mattsimecek

i've gotten results like this before. from what i can tell it comes from your UV's being messed up.

i found it happens while building the model. i've also gotten it when i used the symmetry modifier in Max. (i always get it at the center seam there)

solution? you can try retopo, or import your uv's from your 3d program.

what i do is watch my geometry and UV's during the building process. (import to mud, paint test)

if you come up with more info on this i'd love to know.

Message 4 of 4
karnageddon

I can confirm this is not a driver issue. I've had this problem with my Cintiq for almost 6 years, under several different hardware configurations.

This problem cannot be replicated with a mouse and only seems to happen with a tablet.

Solution for me was the same as yours, disable stamp spacing. I have tried every other possible combination of hardware/settings/drivers at my disposal and this is the only solution i've ever found to this irritating problem.
On a side note, Mari and Zbrush dont have this problem with a Cintiq. I also tried my cintiq at work with the same drivers and it worked fine.

Another problem I experience is that the position of the brush/sculpt tool is offset from the cursor by a few centimeters (really only noticable on high res sculpts). If you have that issue as well, turn on steady stroke and change the distance to 0.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report