Flame Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Flame Family (Flame, Flare, Flame Assist, Lustre) Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Flame topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

replacing clip on desktop wount change in Batch

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
793 Views, 8 Replies

replacing clip on desktop wount change in Batch

im trying to gesturally replace a clip on the desktop over the original clip. But when i went back into Batch, this revised clip would not take the place of the previous clip.

im trying to edit the clip using the Timeline. 

I drag the new version from the desktop to the timeline, creating a new track in the timeline.

if i open an action setup the new clip will be updated.

if i open a batch which contain the same clip, the batch will take the old clip from the desktop and i'll have to manually replace it.

any idea how to resolve that.. its frustrating especially when i keep getting new 3D renders that i need to replace with the old ones. i dont want to replace them one by one

thank you!!!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Grant.Kay
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

I assume you are using Flame 2015 SP1.

If you updating a clip in a reel, than it won't update in Batch because Batch is using a copy of the clip in the Batch Sources folder in Media Panel.

So if you want to update the clip as a Timeline, select the clip in the Batch Sources Folder and open it as a sequence.

You edit your new media on to the top video track.

When you return back to Batch, it should update in the flow graph.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Grant

Grant Kay
Principal Learning Content Developer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Official Autodesk Flame Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/flamehowtos

The Official Autodesk Smoke Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos

Also available as podcasts on iTunes

Follow me on twitter @discreetuk for the latest training updates.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Grant.Kay

Hey Grant
THANK YOU
Problem Solved!!!
you saved me a lot of time!
Message 4 of 9
jamesgrean

I'd still like a return to the old behaviour (yes, another request for an "obselete" way of working) where batch uses sources from the library or reels, and doesn't "copy" them into it's own special Batch sources area. It really does make updating a lot of 3D passes time consuming.

Grant, while a workaround, the option of opening the batch sequence as a sequence doesn't help time/updates when you need to replace 15 EXR renders, each with 10 layers.

I've never understood why AD implemented the "batch sources" area. It's just another duplication of media. If I replace a pass on the desktop or library, I don't want the old one hanging around on the stones. I want to keep my project lean and trim. By including batch sources, bloat is added to projects, and it's another chunk of time gone trying to clean the projects for archive to remove unneccesary media.

At least Autodesk should consider this as a preference: Use Batch Source: Y/N. Ticking N would mean batch nodes read from desktop or library only. Now where's the link for feature request again?

Message 5 of 9
jaseo
in reply to: jamesgrean

Not sure if applicable to your workflow, but read file nodes can work well, especially if you use Maya and .precomp files.

http://docs.autodesk.com/flamepremium2015/files/GUID-33F6B19D-1936-44B5-8CBE-59334E01AD9A.htm

cheers

Jason

Message 6 of 9
jamesgrean
in reply to: jaseo

Useful in some situations, but it doesn't cache does it?

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

Add mux nodes and cache in batch...

Message 8 of 9
jamesgrean

Ah of course, thanks for the tip!

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

Fully agree that the old way was easier. Double clicking the source takes you to the desk where you can see the clips more clearly was much nicer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report