Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireframelook, edges only. Box.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
helgetjelta
427 Views, 4 Replies

Wireframelook, edges only. Box.

Hi, using 3D tracker, and want to use a 3D object. I import a box, but want it to just show the edges. Almost wireframelook.

But I would like to adjust the thickness of the edges... So that I can have a big White box on the ground, and would like to adjust the white edges for my  liking...

So how do I get a box, with only edges visible ?

Tracking and box import is done... but how to only show edges.

/helge

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
BKM
Advisor
in reply to: helgetjelta

The tirck here... is to do a texturing trick.
a 3D object and havea Diffuse texture. And this diffuse texture can have a Matte. The matte will make the 3D object appear to have transparancy. Well, it actually does have transparacy.  But the object is still 100% solid.

If you look at the screenshot you can see what I did. If you resize the white frame in the 2D transform you can adjust the size of the box edges.
The Screenshot is from Flame.. but it's all the same tools/nodes.

Flame/Smoke Editor
Check out the Premiumbeat Smoke Blog
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/category/smoke-2/
Message 3 of 5
helgetjelta
in reply to: BKM

how do I get the box fully transparent ?

/Helge

Message 4 of 5
BKM
Advisor
in reply to: helgetjelta

Like I said it sort of a fake transparency. It' an illusion.  The only way to do it is to have a 3D model that is built like you want.
You might be able to do it with 6 3D Text font shapes, and set them up as a box. 

Or use a 3rd party model program to make the model.

I suppose you could get crazy fancy and use Action Output passes to comp the fake line box downstream. of your scene with the ground plane shadow.
You might have to fake the shadow for the lines.  

Put you line box in an Action after this one and comp it. If there are camera moves, you can link the camera via Link expression in the Channel editor.

Flame/Smoke Editor
Check out the Premiumbeat Smoke Blog
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/category/smoke-2/
Message 5 of 5
facenorth
in reply to: BKM

You can make it out of boxes too. I have attached an action setup, it has a little expression scaler to change the thickness of the 'wire frame'. The only problem I found, was a graphics error with the 2.5 shadow cast when the box is close to the ground plane. Maybe someone has an answer for that?

Cheers,

Angus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report