Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble w/blend Modes -

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
somethingn3wproductions
496 Views, 10 Replies

Trouble w/blend Modes -

Hey guys,

Problem - I'm making a video, and have a spot where one clip ends and another begins. Simple - they're snapped together. I have a film burn that I tried to put in the slot above the main timeline - thinking that I could just change the blend mode to "add" on it and it would be partly transparent still showing the video change from one clip to the next beneath it. 

(To explain what I'm doing - you can look at this video - I edited it in FCPX using this same process https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsB5w92VrLE&list=UUd7LuZs1KcN3iqRvJcJg63w

You can see how I was using a film burn (in that video) to kinda make the switch in clips less apparent. I was hoping to do that here. I have attached a screenshot of my timeline. 

So - Questions:

1. Can I just put that film burn in the slot above and is there a blend mode I can change to make it just add/overlay/transparent over the main clips? (like I said, in FCPX I just needed to change the blend mode to "add") (Attached screenshot of my CFX blend node) 

2. This is a little off topic  -  but in FCPX you can make compound clips. That came in MASSIVELY handily (ignore poor grammar please) when trying to add effects to multiple clips at once. Is there a similar way to do that in Smoke?

Thanks in advance! I'm coming from FCPX trying to learn Smoke and it's quite a change. 😛 

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Blending is done at the timeline level... activate the COMP button on the timeline and you will get timeline menus for blending. 
You then don't need the Resize or Blend & Comp in CFX.  In fact you can slo do the LUT work in FORMAT & Pre Processing options in the timeline as well.

Flame/Smoke Editor
Check out the Premiumbeat Smoke Blog
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/category/smoke-2/
Message 3 of 11

Thanks for the quick response!

Oh! Sweet! Thanks! That's nice that the blending is right there.

And where are the Format and Pre-processing options? (I'm still a super-noob sorry)

And is there a way to make a compound clip, too?

Thanks again!
Message 4 of 11

If you just put your film clip on the timeline, then you should see a little Quicktime icon in the center bar, next to it will be the Format options and then preprocessing option, as you add effects, they will also fall in line and the comp will always be at the end.

You have LUT options in both Format and Pre-processing.

You can make a compound clip... called a container by selecting the clips and the right clicking and "Contain selected" There is alos a hotkey listed for that command.

Flame/Smoke Editor
Message 5 of 11

Thanks!

I have another problem. I'm trying to cut a clip. Cut it. That's it. I'm using ctrl-v, like normal, but it keeps on cutting the "gap" and empty space on the upper layer. Even when I have my first regular movie layer selected, and do ctrl-v, it cuts the layer above. So, I can't figure out how to cut a darn piece of video. Pretty frustrating. I'm sure there's a ridiculously simple answer though. But, I don't know it. Help? 😛

Message 6 of 11

As a side note, cutting all tracks does work - but isn't preferable in my situation.
Message 7 of 11

Move the littel play head (the horizontal track maker on the positioner) dooen to the track/clip you want.. then it will cut that clip.

Flame/Smoke Editor
Message 8 of 11

Yup. I'm an idiot.

Thank you so very much for the quick and helpful response. It also answers a little question I had about what the "P" over to the left meant. 😄
Message 9 of 11

So when the lower level timeline is selected, any higher level is ignored?
Message 10 of 11

No.

As long as the focus point, the small horizonal bar on the positioner, is at the top most layer, you will also see from the top most layer downwards even if you select segments on any of the bottom layer.

If you want bypass the top layers, you can either mute them or move the focus point down to the bottom layers with PAGE UP/PAGE DOWN or drag it with your cursor.

All these questions are answered in the Getting Started Series for Smoke on the Smoke Learning Channel.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Grant

Message 11 of 11

Okay thanks!

I actually watched several (If not all - and wrote down notes) But I definitely still missed some things. Thanks for the help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report