Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TIF with Alpha Channel in Action

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
andregallus
229 Views, 4 Replies

TIF with Alpha Channel in Action

Hi,

I'm trying to apply a GMask to a TIF with alpha.
In Smoke 2012 I would go in to the Keyer and choose the Luma Keyer to keep the original alpha and then apply the GMask.
If I do the same thing in 2013 the edges of the original alpha channel become jagged and have a black outline.
I can use the softening parameter in the Luma Keyer Module to get better edges but it is still not as good as it supposed to be.
What am I doing wrong? Is the workflow different in 2013 than it was in 2012?

Thanks,
André
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Grant.Kay
in reply to: andregallus

Hi André

Theoretically there shouldn't be any difference between the luma key tool in 2012 or 2013 apart from the separate modules.

If you are doing this through the modular keyer in action, have you tried turning on the DIVIDE setting in the media list? its is a checkbox you can enable.

Another option I can think of is when you are in the modular keyer, click the RESULT node and you can make the front curve additive. It's a bit old school but it does work. Select the control point at the bottom of the curve and push it up so that the front curve is completely horizontal at the top of the graph.

Perhaps you can message me so we can arrange for me to get this Tif from you and we can get it tested to see if there might be a possible bug too.

Many thanks

Regards
Grant

Grant Kay
Principal Learning Content Developer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Official Autodesk Flame Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/flamehowtos

The Official Autodesk Smoke Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos

Also available as podcasts on iTunes

Follow me on twitter @discreetuk for the latest training updates.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 5
andregallus
in reply to: Grant.Kay

Hi Grant,

thanks for your reply. I think this was more of an user error.
I never did have the correct alpha channel from the file. Instead it was the Fill used as Matte.
When I imported the file, I didn't get two separate files for Fill and Matte as in Smoke 2012 so I just assumed this was a new thing and the matte would be inside that one clip. This wasn't the case.
I had to turn off 'Create Multi-Channel Clip' in the 'General' tab of the 'Media Hub' to get separate clips for Fill and Matte and then everything worked as expected.
I'm not sure but I think in 2012 we did get two separate clips no matter if 'Create Multi-Channel Clip' was turned on or off
but I might be wrong!?

Thanks,
André
Message 4 of 5
Grant.Kay
in reply to: andregallus

If I remember correctly and it has been a while 😉 But when you enabled the "container clip" option in smoke 2012, Smoke created a 3 clips. A front clip, matte clip and the axis container clip (now the multi-channel clip).

In Smoke 2013, when create multi-channel clip is on, you only get one clip when you import. If you drop it in the sequence, you can key it in axis. If you use it in ConnectFX, the clip has two outputs for fill and alpha. There is no need to create the separate front and alpha clip in this case.

If you want to the separate fill or alpha clip afterwards, you can simply open the multi-channel clip with the source tab and match whatever element you want.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Grant

Grant Kay
Principal Learning Content Developer

The Official Autodesk Flame Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/flamehowtos

The Official Autodesk Smoke Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos

Also available as podcasts on iTunes

Follow me on twitter @discreetuk for the latest training updates.
Message 5 of 5
andregallus
in reply to: Grant.Kay

Ok, now I get it.
Everything works as you say.
It's only when I'm in ConnectFX and try to add media to Action the 'old' way, that it doesn't work.
I have to use 'New Input' and not 'New Media' to add footage to Action otherwise Action doesn't see the Alpha Channel.

Thanks,
André

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report