Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smoke doesn't remove files from Framestore

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
moreymichael
1673 Views, 7 Replies

Smoke doesn't remove files from Framestore

When I delete a project from Smoke, it deletes the project in the list, but does not remove media files from the framestore. This is a disaster when you are in the middle of a job and are running out of drive space...archive a job or two, reboot the system, and not a single frame has been freed up on the drive. Have to archive Every job on the drive, delete All folders, then restore the ongoing jobs. Not nice. Please fix.

Another bug: selecting clips in the library...randomly decides that One pen press means "rename", unless you press to the very left column...or else no amount of double-clicking will bring up the "rename" function. Have to use 9, which is a stupid keystroke and very inconvenient. Here is how it should work: single click will "select" the clip. Double click will rename the clip. Pretty easy stuff.

Other than that, she's great!

Cheers, Mike

Late 2013 MacPro, 10.9.5, 2.7 GHz 12-Core, 64GB ram, AMD D700, 1TB SSD
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ManChicken
in reply to: moreymichael

Have you tried running vic manually to cleanup the framestore?  It's not run every single time you launch so you can do it on demand if needed.

See this document for more info.

As for the renaming, single clicking on an already-selected item will go into rename if you click over the actual name.  If you only just want to select, click to the left of the item.  Double-clicking (like a normal rapid double-click to launch something) doesn't mean anything in 2015 anymore (it used to do Open if I remember right.)

Depending on what keyboard shortcuts you're using, hovering over an item and pressing N will rename, or you can go look up the normal Rename function in your Keyboard Shortcuts to see what it is or change/assign it if it's not to your liking/unassigned.  Just search for Rename.  The plain 'Rename' function is what you're used to on 9, while 'Rename Under Cursor' is what I was referring to with N.

Bob Maple | idolum
Message 3 of 8
moreymichael
in reply to: ManChicken

Hey ManC,

Thanks for the response. I've never heard of vic. The command to purge orphan frames doesn't seem to call a particular drive. (All my media drives are outboard.) Do you know exactly what it means? The page warns to be "careful" but doesn't say why.

Here's the thing with the single/double click: it's not consistent. It goes through these brief periods where no matter what, it calls up rename (I know I can use/change shortkeys, but I was in the mood to rant). I was trying to select the eye icon at the right edge of the folder name, and it absolutely would not do anything except "rename". Definitely a bug, at least on my system. Perhaps when things slow down, I'll re-install and see what happens.

But this framestore thing is a biggie. Smoke and Flame have always been very good at deleting these frames when the projects are deleted. They used to ask specifically if you want to delete the media. Now, I don't recover a "single" frame when I delete a massive project. So there is either something missing in the code, or else I'm missing something in the procedure.

Cheers, Mike

Message 4 of 8
BKM
Advisor

To run VIC manually....

Close Smoke

Open a Terminal in OSX.
Type: /usr/discreet/io/bin/vic -a -f

You should see it working in the terminal window.

When it's done...

Open Service Monitor and restart Stone+Wire.

Restart Smoke and check preferences>Storage and see if the availible frames have increased.
If not then you may have LOCKS on your clip libraries casuing VIC to fail or run as Lazy.

to remove the locks...

Stop Stome+Wire via Service Monitor...

Then just manulayy delete the .ref and .ref.rc files and restart stone wire.

I am sure Rbert will chime in with teh terminal command for deleteing these files... I personally hate terminal. 🙂

Flame/Smoke Editor
Check out the Premiumbeat Smoke Blog
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/category/smoke-2/
Message 5 of 8
moreymichael
in reply to: BKM

Thanks Brian.

I see that there are some .ref files in there. Once Smoke is finished what it's doing, I'll give it a go. I'm old school, so I'm at least familiar with basic terminal commands. I know how to delete them.

Just wondering why these locks are happening. I frequently get an error msg when I launch Smoke telling me there are unreferenced frames, or something like that (I don't remember exactly), asking for a yes/no to recover the frames. I always say no, because I don't know what Smoke is talking about, and none of my frames are missing, that I can see. But perhaps whatever is causing this error is also putting on the lock and preventing the projects from being properly deleted.

Cheers, Mike

Message 6 of 8
BKM
Advisor

I normally say NO as well... as this should then delete these unreferenced frames which are frames found on the framestore but without a project.  If you recover them, then a new project will be created where you can go inand see the clips and delete them from there as well. But VIC will need to be running properly to remove the frames entirely.

the .ref fiesl will recreate themselves upon a new launch of Smoke... but deleting them and then runnign VIC will allow VIC to delete the refernece to the frames and free the storage.

Flame/Smoke Editor
Message 7 of 8
moreymichael
in reply to: BKM

Hi Brian.

I wonder if you'd be able to explain this command a bit more clearly before I use it:

/usr/discreet/io/bin/vic -a -f

Cheers, Mike

Message 8 of 8
BKM
Advisor

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/smoke/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Using-vic...

Path = /usr/discreet/io/bin/

App = vic All Framestores = -a

Remove Unreferenced Frames = -f

Flame/Smoke Editor

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report