Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smoke 2015

66 REPLIES 66
SOLVED
Message 1 of 67
sebastien_leclercq
5681 Views, 66 Replies

Smoke 2015

Hello!

I just saw the announcement about Smoke 2015.

That's really great news 🙂

Any idea about the release date, minimum requirements and if it will be available as a free upgrade for Subscription Customers?

Thanks.

66 REPLIES 66
Message 2 of 67

is released. go to the download. you can use it right away.

Message 3 of 67

Hi Seb.

The software will be available for download towards the end of the month.

If you are a current Smoke 2013 customer with an active Maintenance Subscription contract, you will receive Smoke 2015 as a perpetually licensed product when it is available.

Here are the system requirements (they'll go live soon at http://www.autodesk.com/smoke-systemrequirements) :

System requirements for Autodesk® Smoke® 2015

• Apple® Mac OS® X version 10.7.5 or later, 10.8.x or 10.9.x

• 64-bit Intel multi-core processor

• Refer to the Recommended Hardware wizard for a detailed list of recommended systems and graphics cards.

• 8 GB of RAM (16 GB or more recommended)

• 3 GB free disk space for download and installation

• Minimum 1,440 x 900 display (1,920 x 1,200 or higher recommended)

• U.S. keyboard (required to properly map keyboard shortcuts)

Optional Components
  • A separate storage disk for the Media Storage location (such as on an external Thunderbolt drive or array), for playback performance.
  • Wacom® Intuos Tablet: Intuos2, Intuos3, Intuos4, Intuos5 and Intuos Pro USB models are supported
  • AJA® KONA, KONA 3G, or IOxT Thunderbolt device for video I/O. The required AJA driver for Smoke 2015 is 10.4.4.
  • Blackmagic UltraStudio Express, UltraStudio 3D, UltraStudio 4K, UltraStudio Mini Monitor Thunderbolt devices as well as Decklink 4k, Decklink HD 3D and Decklink Studio 2. The required BMD driver for Smoke 2015 is 9.7.2 (supported only on Mac OS 10.8.x)."

Best regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 4 of 67

Action on the timeline. Action in CFX. So close.... I guess one more upgrade and we'll get it back on the desktop.
All's well that ends. That's why its called finishing.
Message 5 of 67

Hi Robert.   Has Autodesk published the upgrade price of Smoke 2015 for existing Smoke customers?  Is there an upgrade path?   I purchased Smoke 2013 last year, but do not have a maintenance subscription.  Ideally I'm looking for a permanent licence, like the one I have for Smoke 2013.

Thanks in advance.

Alex

Message 6 of 67

No official support for BMD with Mavericks at launch? Very dissapointing for those of us with the the new MacPro. Pretty unbelievable really.

Message 7 of 67
Robert.Adam
in reply to: alexboothby

Hi Alex.

To get Smoke 2015 as a perpetual license, you will need a valid Subscription contract at the time Smoke 2015 is released (around April 22nd).

For a limited time your local reseller may be able to help you get current on subscription so you can have access to Smoke 2015 when it is available.

Best regards.

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 8 of 67

Hi David.

We understand the need to support a BMD driver that works on Mavericks and we are looking into this matter.

Best regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 9 of 67

Thanks for the response Robert.

Best,

dc
Message 10 of 67

Hi everyone.

We’ve just posted this FAQ document about Smoke 2015.

Hope it helps further clarify some of the questions you may have about the new offering:

http://area.autodesk.com/userdata/products/smoke_2015_faq_en.pdf

As always, if you have any other questions or concerns, don't hesitate to post them here and I will answer them or make sure to forward them to the appropriate team.

Best regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 11 of 67
alexboothby
in reply to: Robert.Adam

Thank you Robert.  This helps a lot. 🙂

Message 12 of 67

Robert,

Any chance you can archive in ProRes now?  Everything I have coming into so smoke is all ProRes, and the Uncompressed 444 of the complete archive is a little much.  Yes I know I can archive links only.  But I like the  all in one, all my media is nicely packaged in an archive feature of a complete archive.  Guarantee no media missing upon restore.

can't wait to try the new smoke!

Message 13 of 67

Hi Brooks.

No, archives are still uncompressed. This is by design, as we want our archives to be as future proof as possible. We can't tell if a codec we may use to compress archived media today will still be available x years down the line when you may attempt to restore that archive.

Archiving links only and storing your compressed source media with the archive is a workaround to achieving a "compressed archive".

That being said, I believe there is a feature request logged to allow users to choose if they want to compress their archives. I'll find it tomorrow and add your name to it.

Regards,
Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 14 of 67
nickyl3
in reply to: Robert.Adam

Hi Robert,

Can you please confirm that Saaphire and Tinder will not be compatible with Smoke 2015.

I have numerous on going Reatil TVC Jobs that will continue for the next 12 mobths (at least)  , that use both Sapphire and Tinder  in their set ups.

It will be a major dispruption in my workflow, without  the option of using both Sapphire and Tinder

If they are not compatible with 2015 , I would be very interested in knowing the reason behind this decision.

Thanks

Nicky

Message 15 of 67
BKM
Advisor
in reply to: nickyl3

Sparks are still working in teh perpetual license of 2015 that you got with your matenance subscritption with 2013.
So if you are getting teh upgrade from 2013 then that version of Smoke 2015 is fully compaitble. 

Future (May 2014) version of Desktop Smoke will not be Flame compaitble and Sparks will not be an option. 

any future version sof Smoke (Smoke 2016) will not have Sparks.

Honestly, the tools in Smoke give you alot of power and Sapphire at least seems redundant.  Smoke 2015 has some nice Mactbox presets and there are free matchbox setups you can download.  These pretty much replace all of Sapphire.

Not sure about Tinder.

Flame/Smoke Editor
Check out the Premiumbeat Smoke Blog
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/category/smoke-2/
Message 16 of 67

what about support for smoke 2012 sp3 versions on the new mac pro ?

Message 17 of 67
lapost
in reply to: BKM

It looks like in 2015 Sparks are removed from the timeline, but are in Connectfx. Since most of the sapphires we use are in the timeline, will smoke just replace those with Connectfx & use the spark node when restoring 2013 archives in 2015? Will it be possible to keep running 2013 along side 2015 & beyond on the same system so we can restore projects with Sapphires?

Message 18 of 67
BKM
Advisor
in reply to: sebastien_leclercq

Sparks are still in the timeline if you have a perpetual license and are upgrading via subscription from 2013.
If you will be getting the desktop smoke then sparks are no longer an option and for that matter neither is archive restore from 2013

Flame/Smoke Editor
Check out the Premiumbeat Smoke Blog
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/category/smoke-2/
Message 19 of 67
lapost
in reply to: BKM

Thanks, Brian, that's good news. Just to be clear, when you say

If you will be getting the desktop smoke then sparks are no longer an option and for that matter neither is archive restore from 2013

you mean the sparks won't be readable by desktop smoke, but the archives themselves from pre-2015 will still be restored, correct? 

Message 20 of 67
Robert.Adam
in reply to: lapost

Hi Richy:

Smoke 2015 with a perpetual license (available later this month to existing subscription users) will retain archive and project compatibility with Flame and with previous versions of Smoke, just like before.

As of May, new users will only be able to get Smoke with a term-based "desktop subscription" license. That version of Smoke will also remove project and archive compatibility with Flame and non-destop subscription versions of Smoke.

Best regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report