Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smoke 2015 and Flame Assist - What does it really mean - Blog Post

66 REPLIES 66
SOLVED
Message 1 of 67
BKM
Advisor
5954 Views, 66 Replies

Smoke 2015 and Flame Assist - What does it really mean - Blog Post

Thought this might shine some light on things.

http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/autodesk-smoke-2015-and-flame-assist-on-mac-what-does-it-really-mean...

Flame/Smoke Editor
Check out the Premiumbeat Smoke Blog
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/category/smoke-2/
66 REPLIES 66
Message 61 of 67
davidjahns
in reply to: rjino

We are in an "interesting" situation - small facility, grew from one Smoke 2012 to three systems on 2013 Ext1 - and we were waiting until NAB news to purchase a Burn Node or two.  We've also done a job with a rental Flame, and connected everyone into a temporary "big" facility for a few weeks.  Even without owning a Flame, we were using parts of the Flame ecosystem, and planned to expand incrementally - and were considering getting a real Flame, but like everyone else, finding it hard to justify the costs.

So, now - looks like our choice is simple.  Step up, buy a Flame and run with the big boys, and enjoy all of the components of the Flame system, or stay on the Smoke path, give up the idea of render nodes, and see where Smoke is headed.

Breaking the link between Smoke-Flame sucks for us, and for FLame freelancers that run Smoke on their own systems, but when I look at it from ADSK's persepective, it does make a lot of sense.

From reading the forums and talking with other users, it seems like Smoke 2013 had 3 obstacles to overcome:

1) Price - $3500 isn't cheap, when you're targeting a crowd used to paying $1000 for Final Cut (especially when a 30 day trial isn't enough)

2) Under the hood - Mac users expect programs to operate in a similar manner as others.  I tried to explain to people that Smoke-Mac is like running a Linux virtual machine - you can't treat it like a mac app.  All of the backburner issues, no user friendly project files, etc. - all of these made it hard for people to embrace and use the way they were used to working.

3) Complexity of the App.  The new UI gave it a more user friendly starting place, but learning Action & CFX is still quite a challenge for most people.  

I have a small glimmer of hope that they'll address #1 and #2, but not take #3 and dumb it down into Smoke Light in 2016.

This is pure speculation, but by breaking all of the Smoke-Flame compatibility, they are free to re-engineer the product under the hood to make it much more user friendly, and nimble.  Build it so it works with a single "Project.smoke" file and user-defineable media folders - allow you to work from a USB drive that can move about like NLE project files, use OFX plugins, etc.?

HOPEFULLY - addressing #1 and #2  may remove some hurdles for new users, and they may give Smoke another chance, or give it a try for the first time, etc... and ADSK will NOT do anything to dumb it down.  If they were to do that, and remove any of the power of CFX/Action, etc., then Smoke would be just another NLE, right?  So I have to think they know the only reason anyone would want to use Smoke is for the powerful effects. 

All that being said...  They've doubled down on their high-end Flame market, and if they give Smoke-Mac a 3rd chance to catch on and it fails again, I would not at all be surprised if they kill the product entirely...  

my two cents...

(and I may be using Smoke 2015 until they pry it from cold dead hands...)

---
SmokeUser since 2012
MacPro w/ K3
32 GB RAM
CalDigit HdPro2 RAID
Message 62 of 67
A_Over_B
in reply to: davidjahns

If you don't have to network mac->linux then you are free to exploit a quiet benefit of thunderbolt - namely 10GbE networking.

No router, switch, HBAs, cables, SFPs etc.

Just a cheap cable from the apple store or online and boom - instant network - no drama.

Mac ecosystem thrives on boom no drama.

!0GbE networking and internal SSDs that move about 1GB/sec is a pretty powerful way to share - especially if that sharing only cost you a $50 cable...

Not exactly sure how it will work if burn goes away entirely but maybe you'll get smoke rendernodes.

I'm reaching for a glass half full perspective...

Message 63 of 67
brookstomlinson
in reply to: arichards

Tony,
I didn't really understand what you meant by your post. But now that I've gotten my hands on 2015, I do.

To clarify on what tony said, Smokes FCP XML creates one flatten file. Then an XML to go along with it. When you import it into FCPx it does not show your edit points, no individual clips. There is no differance between the XML out of smoke, or rendering a Quicktime movie out of smoke.

I can not see the benefit of it. I would under stand if it worked like all XML, and gave me edit points based on the clips. I hope this gets improved.

So my question is, in FCP XML in it's current state, what is it intended use?
Anyone know why the AD guys added this feature? and how they planned on us using it?

Message 64 of 67
arichards
in reply to: brookstomlinson

I just tell it how it is....but then need a translator to make my point clear!

Cheers

Tony

HP Z840, 80GB Ram, Quadro M6000x24GB
Message 65 of 67
brookstomlinson

sorry tony,
Now that I read the smoke 2015 help files, what you originally posted made since. But If you hadn't had access to the help, or to the 2015 program, it didn't make since (well at least to me)

So I was just trying to clarify for people that haven't had the ability to access to 2015 yet.

no disrespect intended

Message 66 of 67
arichards
in reply to: BKM

No disrespect received Brooks my boy. I just spotted a gap for some humour and dived right in. I'm like a rough cut program that needs another piece of software to help to polish and finish my message. You are my Smoke!

Cheers
Tony
HP Z840, 80GB Ram, Quadro M6000x24GB
Message 67 of 67
brookstomlinson

Lol, it was late and I just was making sure.

--
Brooks Tomlinson
Cell: 517-944-1222
icantellyourstory.com
brookstomlinson@gmail.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report