Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smoke 2013 is running very slow

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
billy
653 Views, 7 Replies

Smoke 2013 is running very slow

I have Smoke2013 SP1 installed on MacPro . I find it the performance on my Smoke its very slow , sometimes I see beach ball or the sea horse .
I have 16GB of RAM installed on this MacPro and is running Mac OS X 10.6.7 .
The storage that I'm using for this Smoke I would say it pretty much alright .

Can some one guide what is wrong with my Smoke On Mac .

Thank you
Smoker...
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
BKM
Advisor
in reply to: billy

Hard to say without more information....
Source material? Codec?
Cached or linked?
What is your storage drive?

You might also want to update to SP2 and refresh the ico oour dock as its a seperate install.

Flame/Smoke Editor
Check out the Premiumbeat Smoke Blog
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/category/smoke-2/
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

Few things to check...

What Mac Pro - newer are substantially better
What Gfx card?
What kona driver - check compatability list.
Raid driver - check 10.6 compatability.

Best regards

Mike
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: BKM

Hi Brian,
Awesome ... the update to SP2 works fine.
And the storage I use for the Smoke is Accusy 12TB
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Hi there!, I experiencing something similar. But here is my scenario: I conformed a Tv spot on a HD sq. the images were in AppleProRes 422HQ at 3840x 2160 and it would not play even rendered. It was all jerke and freezing some frames. And the render took 10 min. Just to do some rezise over 25 sec. Total.

Other thing I realized is that I did the exactly same conforme in FCP7 with the same EDL, same images on the same place and it work perfectly. And it took 1 min to render the same 25 sec.

Is that normal to took so much time on render into smoke rather than FCP7????

I even installed the recent SP 1 for extension 1 for smoke 2013. And it was the same thing.

For more info I am using a Mac Pro with OSX10.8 with 24 GB in Ram ( or more) K9000 graphic card and Kona3g. The images were in our SAN SERVER fibre optic.
Message 6 of 8
BKM
Advisor
in reply to: Anonymous

Hmmm that does seem odd. What were the resizes... 3k to 1080? Still shouldn't take that long to render.

Flame/Smoke Editor
Check out the Premiumbeat Smoke Blog
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/category/smoke-2/
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: BKM

Thanks for your response.  By the way I am now infront of my station and I have, 32 Gb RAM and the card is K5000; so my bad on that.

Yes I dont't know what to do. really I can't do even a play. It is all jerkee and freezees in some frames. Do you have any idea to whom I can talk to even in a teamviewer session?

Message 8 of 8
Robert.Adam
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Samuel.

I noticed that Seb on our team has worked with you on this issue, but could not reproduce the problem.

Please don't hesitate to contact us again if the issue re-occurs.

You might also want to look at this KB article that shows you how to enable the player debug graph to get more info on why playback stutters.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/smoke/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Using-Cre...

Regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report