Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Size of QTs on the Framestore

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
HalloweenJack2
191 Views, 3 Replies

Size of QTs on the Framestore

Hi folks,

We have Smoke 2012 Adv Ext1 SP1

I'm just putting a bunch of texture QTs and stills on Smoke. In a folder on a PC they are about 22GB. I've just brought them into Smoke and organised them but I'm getting a size estimate of 156GB for archive.

These are just clips no effects. I can imagine it could be quite a bit more to archive but can this be right?

I've tried different groups and it's roughly proportional so it's not a few odd files causing the issue.

I'm also curious how this relates to how much room projects are taking up in Smoke, and how to judge this.

From the 2012 wiki the Volume Statistics page is supposed to have a % of space taken by each library but I can't see it anywhere. I used to go by Nb Fullres frames, but I'm not really sure what this is. I mean, does an HD frame count the same as SD?

So can I find how much space my FX library is taking up in Smoke?

Cheers
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
BKM
Advisor
in reply to: HalloweenJack2

Did you bring these clips in a linked? Or did you Store local copy?
Also, is your Archive set to Linked or Stone?
a Linked archive will be very small. As it just links to the files, but on Stone the Archive will want to hard import all of the media... as DPX. This is probably why you are getting such a size bump.

DPX frames are uncompressed and I am guessing that your QT's are of some compressed format.

Flame/Smoke Editor
Check out the Premiumbeat Smoke Blog
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/category/smoke-2/
Message 3 of 4

Of course!

Sorry, that was silly of me. I'm so used to using Animation codec for everything I forgot a lot the effects were from elsewhere and used H264.

I'd still be interested to know how to tell the size it takes up in Smoke though. Is it very similar to the archive size?

I'm curious where this 'percentage of space used' in Volume Statistics is, why there isn't a simple colume showing size of a project in GBs, or what exactly the 'Nb Fullres Frames' are.

Cheers
Message 4 of 4

Hi.

Unfortunately there's currently no way to measure the framestore usage of a project in MB.

Regards
Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report