Flame Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Flame Family (Flame, Flare, Flame Assist, Lustre) Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Flame topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Render Failing - MSG = "COLOUR : Initializing"

25 REPLIES 25
SOLVED
Message 1 of 26
CB_Vancity
1494 Views, 25 Replies

Render Failing - MSG = "COLOUR : Initializing"

Uggg... this is my worst nightmare today.

I am on an older machine and I am not on support.  [Smoke Advanced 2013.2.0]

All of last week I have been working on some fairly major comp shots, which I haven't done in a long time.  Anyways after getting the hang of things last week I set the machine to render my BFX on friday evening and left it over the weekend.  When I came in this morning it had not rendered and the cacheing was acting a little weird.  After several reboots the cache seems to be working again, but it crashes whenever I go to render either of my comps (nearly identical setups).

The machine freezes while rendering the first frame and the message in the lower left says...

COLOUR : Initialising

and that's it, it will not respond after this point.

I was able to find this same message in the most recent log file smoke20132_lustre_app.log

[notice] 2422862544 messageAccumulator.C:291 02/17/14:13:19:25.081 Rendering: Batch FX - frame 0 of 118 - 00:00.
[notice] 1353996608 CoThreadPthread.C:200 02/17/14:13:19:25.164 Registered thread 'MepDispatcher' [ 1353996608 ]
[notice] 1087641920 CoMsgLogger.cpp:211 02/17/14:13:19:33.860 Last entry repeated 6 more times.
[notice] 2422862544 messageAccumulator.C:291 02/17/14:13:19:33.860 COLOUR : Initialising.
[notice] 1353996608 CoThreadPthread.C:200 02/17/14:13:19:34.469 Registered thread 'MepDispatcher' [ 1353996608 ]

I can rebuild my comp from my BFX saved setups, but as soon as I try to render I get the same issue.

Has anyone out there seen this before?  Is it a Colour corrector node somewhere that is unhappy?

Any insights would be appreciated hugely!

Cheers & thanks,

_Chris

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I can't seem to find the release notes documentation on the service packs for 2013.2 anywhere.  I keep getting 404 pages on the autodesk site.  Anyone seen those around?  If it is a known bug I would like to pressure the money people here to finally give me the time to install the service packs, or better yet, get back on support!

25 REPLIES 25
Message 21 of 26
CB_Vancity
in reply to: Robert.Adam

That's good to know Robert.

I'm glad I learned something new yesterday.  Smiley Wink

Cheers & Thanks Again!

_Chris

Message 22 of 26
Robert.Adam
in reply to: CB_Vancity

My pleasure! 🙂

best regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 23 of 26
CB_Vancity

Hi Robert, I just wanted to say thanks again for helping me through this.  It was reall good to learn how to pick apart a saved batch setup to try and salvage it.

It turns out that it might not have been the fault of the action node necessarily, not in the way I thought anyway.  I continued having problems after my last post, but I was able to replace the action node to fix it each time, so I didn't bother posting that.  Anyways, I eventually turned cache off for all the nodes that I was using it on and suddenly the system wasn't locking up anymore.  It must be hitting an error because it has to rebuild the node cache after a reboot?  Anyways, now that the project is done, I tried turning the cache back on for some of the nodes which I was using it on and when I did that it started locking up whenever I tried to open that BFX.

I found this in the fixed bugs list for 2013.2.3, which I am making time to install next week.

FLPR-5611 Batch Action node clears node cache in upstream node.

It seems likely that having cache enabled for my action node is what was causing my problems.

Too bad I only figured that out after the project was over.  <sigh>

Anyways, thanks again for your help.

Cheers!

_Chris

Message 24 of 26
Robert.Adam

Hi Chris.

Glad I was able to help. I remember having tried to disable caching but to no avail.

Regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 25 of 26
CB_Vancity

Interesting, I wonder why it seems to have made such a big difference here.

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to open up a file in /project/batch/ and turn off the cache tags?

Message 26 of 26
Robert.Adam

I have asked the devs and will let you know if there's any way to do that. I don't know of any.

There are _Cache_.000.clib files under /usr/discreet/clip/<storage>/<project>/<workspace>/ that contain the actual cached frames. Renaming or removing that library empties cache for all nodes but does not disable the cache setting.

I'll let you know when I get an answer.

Regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report