Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

READ ME FIRST : Smoke 2013 Pre-Release Trial 1

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Marc-AndreFerguson
282 Views, 10 Replies

READ ME FIRST : Smoke 2013 Pre-Release Trial 1

READ ME FIRST
Autodesk® Smoke® 2013 Pre‐Release Trial

The all‐new Autodesk Smoke 2013 pre‐release trial software is still under construction!
Download it here : http://usa.autodesk.com/smoke-for-mac/trial/

It is a fully functional release of the current 2013 version of the software. However not all intended features for the Autodesk Smoke 2013 release version of the software are included. Over the course of the pre‐release trial period Autodesk intends to introduce additional features.

NOTE: Given the pre‐release nature of the software certain parts of the application have not been fully tested and you may experience instability, slowness or crashes. We encourage you to report such instances to the AREA forum to help us better test the final release version.

For playback performance, we recommend installing Smoke with a separate storage volume/partition for the Media Storage location (such as on an external ThunderboltTM technology drive or array).

Smoke 2013 System Requirements page

The following intended features and workflows are not included or not implemented fully in this pre‐release version of Autodesk Smoke*:
Project archiving
Interim Conform Workflow
 Only drag and drop conform of XML and AAF is supported
 conform from EDL
 conforming troubleshooting tools
 unlink/relink
 reformat
Video I/O however broadcast monitoring is not included
Proxy workflow is not operational however controls are accessible Backward playback on Long‐GOP formats such as H264
Resizing and LUT on Import
Export Capabilities are not implemented fully
 No timeline publish
 No Audio AAF/OMF export
 No format/device export presets
 RGBA export requires Matte Containers
Trim View
Track based Ripple extract and trimming
Vectorscope and some player controls for stereo
The Menu bar is not implemented fully
Partial keyboard shortcut implementation
Selection order of clips in the workspace is not visible
Limited search capabilities
 timeline search is not included
 Only basic search capabilities available in Workspace and MediaHub
browser
Incomplete documentation. Reference content exists for just about everything in Smoke, but we are still working on workflows! Feel free to comment on the wiki when you can’t find what you are looking for.
http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Smoke/enu/2013/Help
For more information on the Autodesk Smoke 2013 pre‐release trial, see the full release notes here: http://www.autodesk.com/smoke‐help‐2013mac
* Autodesk Smoke 2013 pre‐release trial software may concern planned or future development efforts for this Autodesk product, technology and/or service. The making available of the Autodesk Smoke 2013 pre‐release trial software is not intended to be a promise or guarantee of future delivery of products, technology, services or features but merely reflect our current plans, which may change. Accordingly, Autodesk Smoke 2013 pre‐release trial software may not be relied on for purchasing decisions or for any other purpose.
Autodesk and Smoke are registered trademarks or trademarks of Autodesk Inc., and/or its subsidiaries and/or affiliates in the USA and other countries. Autodesk reserves the right to alter product and services offerings, and specifications and pricing at any time without notice, and is not responsible for typographical or graphical errors that may appear in this document. © 2012 Autodesk, Inc. All rights reserved.
Marc-André Ferguson
Editing and Effects Evangelist for Smoke
Autodesk
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Marc-AndreFerguson

Hello
Am I only person who can not download this trial? My internet connection is fine but download keeps stopping. Is there another link to the trial .dmg
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

Hi I downloaded the trial for my laptop and the tower and the laptop works perfect but in the tower under MediaHub/ Top, Local Devises I had a message (Local Gateway not available) is there a path that I need to input somewhere to see my hard drive. I can't input anything although the software seems to open fine. THis Tower is a 2x3 GHz Quad-Core Intel running Lion
Message 5 of 11

After setting the proxy settings to On, I cannot switch it to Off or change any of the proxy settings. Pressing the reset button doesn't affect it.
Message 6 of 11
prtcle

Just got it installed:
A few notes! 🙂

- The interface seems more cluttered than 2012 . . . it looks like all those drop shadows and lighting bevels on the buttons take up a lot of room. Additionally, all the buttons and areas of the interface have more border lines around them... and those take up space as well.

Theres a lot more timeline room in this one:
- http://media.dexigner.com/article/21038/Autodesk_Smoke_2012_for_Mac_OS_X.jpg

Than this one:
- http://library.creativecow.net/articles/kaufman_debra/Nab_2012-Autodesk-Smoke/assets/Smoke2013_Timel...

- The right swipe bar menu seems redundant since there are really easy hotkeys and menus to do the same thing (setting 1, 2, or 3 players) . That could be remapped to something more useful

- Really like connectFX. Can do more precise color correction without using the modular keyer

- The media hub is great, along with the bin structure. It makes a lot more sense now.

- Action feels better as well, but again has the new interface clutter

- Editing feels a LOT better! 🙂

That's all for now! Going to keep putting it through the paces.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

I can not download the trial either. The download starts, indicates 27minutes then stops after about 1 minute. Seems like the same problem that RalphieBoy01 is facing.
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

Had an older laptop, would not install. Even had support logged into my machine for hours trying ti fix. Gave up.

Got a new laptop and installed trial among the first apps, worked, When I finished installing it now will not launch. In every case the error message (below seems to point to font problem. Very not mac friendly.

Can someone help get this sorted?

Jeff

Jul 17 07:46:23 : Output log to: '/usr/discreet/log/vref.log'.
Jul 17 07:46:23 : Registered thread 'CoNetworkMonitor Thread'
Jul 17 07:46:23 :
Jul 17 07:46:23 : ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jul 17 07:46:23 : Registered thread 'TooltipsManager'
Jul 17 07:46:23 : Parsing Tooltips XML
Jul 17 07:46:23 : ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jul 17 07:46:23 : Autodesk(R) Smoke(R) Version 2013.1.alpha6 P6769
Jul 17 07:46:23 : Autodesk and Smoke are registered trademarks or trademarks of Autodesk, Inc., and/or its subsidiaries and/or affiliates in the USA and/or other countries. All other brand names, product names, or trademarks belong to their respective holders.
Jul 17 07:46:23 : Autodesk reserves the right to alter product offerings and specifications at any time without notice, and is not responsible for typographical or graphical errors that may appear in this document. (C) 2012 Autodesk, Inc.
Jul 17 07:46:23 : BUILD DATE : Wed May 30 01:30:49 2012
Jul 17 07:46:23 : EXEC DATE : Tue Jul 17 07:46:23 2012 - (1342536383)
Jul 17 07:46:23 : CONFIG : /usr/discreet/smoke_2013.1.alpha6_PreRelease1/cfg/init.cfg
Jul 17 07:46:23 : POINTER : Trying wacom
Jul 17 07:46:23 : AUDIO : Core Audio
Jul 17 07:46:23 : CONFIG : Ignoring token at line 513: BACKBURNER_MANAGER_INFO_TOKEN
Jul 17 07:46:23 : CONFIG : Unknown command at line 513: BACKBURNER_MANAGER_INFO_TOKEN.
Jul 17 07:46:23 : CONFIG : Unknown command at line 513: BACKBURNER_MANAGER_INFO_TOKEN.
Jul 17 07:46:23 : Executing command: /bin/sh /usr/discreet/smoke_2013.1.alpha6_PreRelease1/bin/platforminfo
Jul 17 07:46:24 : Tooltips loaded
Jul 17 07:46:27 :
Jul 17 07:46:27 : Workstation: MacBookPro10,1
Jul 17 07:46:27 : CPU: 1 Intel Core i7 @ 2.7 GHz, 4 cores
Jul 17 07:46:27 : RAM: 16 GB of RAM
Jul 17 07:46:27 : Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M Driver:
Jul 17 07:46:27 : OS: OS X 10.8 (12A269)
Jul 17 07:46:27 : Kernel: Darwin 12.0.0
Jul 17 07:46:27 :
Jul 17 07:46:27 : MENU : /usr/discreet/smoke_2013.1.alpha6_PreRelease1/menu/default.menu
Jul 17 07:46:28 : Using 1920x1170 offscreen UI rendering with window size 1440x878 (75.0% scale factor, 1.641 W/H aspect ratio)
Jul 17 07:46:29 : Graphics: Error initialising font: /Users/jeff/Library/Fonts/Discreet.
Jul 17 07:46:29 : Graphics: Error initialising font: /Users/jeff/Library/Fonts/Discreet.
Jul 17 07:46:29 : Executing command: /bin/sh /usr/sbin/system_profiler SPPCIDataType -xml > /var/tmp/tmp
Jul 17 07:46:32 :
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Just as a lark I removed all fonts named Discreet in fonts directory and it now runs!
Message 10 of 11

Hi Jeff.

I've logged this into our defect database. QA will investigate.

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Robert.Adam

Thanks, after I posted it was fixed it then crashed at launch of project, sent error report that came up in. One step at a time 🙂

Jeff

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report