Flame Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Flame Family (Flame, Flare, Flame Assist, Lustre) Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Flame topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R3D Camera vs User settings

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
jvw4efx
340 Views, 5 Replies

R3D Camera vs User settings

I guess this is really more of a feature request. Is there any way for Flame to pick up the ISO and Kelvin settings from the Camera for each clip into the user setting?

We usually want to use REDcolor3 and REDlogFilm for all the clips, but need to maintain  the ISO and temp settings that may change for scene to scene.

Does anyone know of a way to do this?

Thanks

Jon

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
A_Over_B
in reply to: jvw4efx

that would be good

right now i'm doing it the slow way and opening the r3d mags in mediahub on a second display so i can have a huge palette of thumbnails.

I modify the ISO & temperature and drag the clips to the library.

I change the ISO & temperature and refresh the thumbnails and drag these to a different library.

Then when all the thumbnails are in and generated I cull the incorrect clips to the trash.

Once I'm happy then I drag the whole lot to my conform tab to see what's going to go right/wrong next.

I would like to see resolution rules - i.e. if this clip is over 2K set my debayer to half premium otherwise set it to full.

There's probably a way to do this in lustre but I can't find it in flame.

Message 3 of 6

Did this ever get addressed? I'm doing some R3D work in Flame for a Resolve project, and the shots I export out of Flame look different than the same R3D clips being debayered in Resolve. I suspect it's something to do with the "all or nothing" metadata controls in Flame, unless there's something I'm missing. 

Message 4 of 6

You could try user settings on the r3d for a flat pass with redlogfilm and redgamm3 (might be off, it's been a few years since I've driven the box.  Do you work in flame.  See if that flat pass export looks different in resolve.  Export a frame from each and put together in photoshop or flame, layer the shots on top of an each other, then sample 1 pixel on both and see if there is any change in the value.

Message 5 of 6

I've done some more investigation, and it seems the problem with the clips looking different was just related to the "all or nothing" metadata controls of Flame.

The clips I'm working with all have saturation set to 0 in their metadata (black & white.) But I need them to be in color. So if I turn off the "use camera metadata" option, it also turns off the specific ISO, Exposure, and Color Temp settings for each shot and sets them all to default. That's why the shots were looking different.

For this project, I am able to load up the clips in RedCineX to get the proper metadata values and enter them in manually. But it would be really nice if there was a way to tell it to ignore all metadata EXCEPT ISO, Exposure, and Color Temp.
Message 6 of 6

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for sharing these details.

There is a existing feature request for this in our database.

I added you as contact for it.

Regards,

Yann

Yann Laforest

Program Manager Data Analytics - Autodesk EMS
10 rue Duke Street
Montréal (Québec) Canada H3C 2L7

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report