Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QT will not export...as usual

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
moreymichael
949 Views, 9 Replies

QT will not export...as usual

Because Smoke 2015 won't run properly on my new MP, I've had to reload it on my old 17" MBP. Now, once again, it indiscriminately refuses to export my QTs. Why or why? It worked yesterday (after a Smoke Utility restart and computer reboot). This is such an ongoing nightmare for me, and plenty of other users. Why won't AD fix this problem so that the software talks to the computer and tells it what to do. I am not a system administrator. I'm only barely dangerous once I've entered the root password. Please, I'm begging you, AD, fix this problem. I have gone through all the documentation available on this forum, to no avail.

Enough of the rant. The export goes into the list, and there it ends, claiming to be waiting for the backburner to finish some other task. Here is the msg in the backburner.log :

There is no valid server to process job 

I'm also at a different physical location than where I usually work (different network, ip, etc.). 

Cheers, Mike

Late 2013 MacPro, 10.9.5, 2.7 GHz 12-Core, 64GB ram, AMD D700, 1TB SSD
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Robert.Adam
in reply to: moreymichael

Hi Mike.

The change of network location is probably what triggered this. It sounds like BB Manager is no longer able to get to the server.

What do you get if you type this command in a terminal:

ping `hostname`

Also check the <ServerName> entry in the /usr/discreet/backburner/Network/backburner.xml file. Ideally, that should be "localhost".

Regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

Curious what issues you're having on nMP?

Message 4 of 10
moreymichael
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Ksirul.

nMB will not playback HD in real time,

and,

I cannot create projects with any of my drives except one, even though 2 of the others are identical drives, a third one has been a faithful drive on previous systems, and I have a brand new Thunderbolt 2 drive that is currently a $1400 paperweight because Smoke 2015 on the mBP won't create projects on it. I know it's a permission/ownership issue, but there are so many places where this can be adjusted/changed, that I've run out of options. I have an open case, and hopefully it will be solved tomorrow. Maybe they can figure out the realtime playback problem, too. A bit odd considering I have the most powerful Apple computer avaiable to Smoke.

The biggest mystery is why Smoke works with the one drive, and not with the other 2 drives that are identical (2Big Lacie Thunderbolt).

Cheers, Mike

Message 5 of 10
moreymichael
in reply to: Robert.Adam

Hi Robert.

Clearly this is a problem:

mikes17mbp:Network mikemorey$ ping 'hostname'
ping: cannot resolve hostname: Unknown host

The info in the .xml was mikes17mbp, and I changed it to localhost. Still no go. 

Cheers, Mike

Message 6 of 10
ManChicken

Clearly this is a problem:

mikes17mbp:Network mikemorey$ ping 'hostname'
ping: cannot resolve hostname: Unknown host

The info in the .xml was mikes17mbp, and I changed it to localhost. Still no go. 

Note the quotes are actually backquotes, IE the ~ key without shift... which is the output of the program hostname as opposed to the literal string "hostname".

When you changed the name to localhost in the backburner config file, did you restart the services or reboot the whole machine?

Bob Maple | idolum
Message 7 of 10
moreymichael
in reply to: ManChicken

Good call, MC.

mikes17mbp:Network mikemorey$ ping `hostname`
PING mikes17mbp.gateway.2wire.net (192.168.2.18): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 192.168.2.18: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.124 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.18: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.133 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.18: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.192 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.18: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.181 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.18: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=0.190 ms

I restart all services, and do a full power cycle (sometimes just a reboot doesn't do it, it seems).

Cheers, Mike

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

My 12 core nMP w 64gb RAM plays back HD fine.  In fact, I've played back 2K footage in RT.  That's with no FX of course.

KEN

Message 9 of 10
Robert.Adam
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Mike.

The issue might be that your machine's domain name changes when you change networks.

I'm surprised "localhost" doesn't work though.

Open System Preferences > Sharing and make sure the name there matches your hostname: mikes17mbp. Also click Edit in that window and make sure the name is the same.

Regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 10 of 10
moreymichael
in reply to: Robert.Adam

Problem solved by AD Techie.

There were several conflicting files inside /usr/discreet/backburner/Network/Servers (I think it was this folder...I was trying to pay attention). Once the files were deleted, backburner was working.

Cheers, Mike

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report