Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Painting In Mudbox

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
gj99aaa
1638 Views, 5 Replies

Painting In Mudbox

Hello. I have a problem regarding painting in Mudbox 2014. After I paint my model and export the texture I then open that same image in Photoshop to continue painting, however Mudbox has painted very far over the edges of my UV's and there is a lot of bleeding from one UV to the next. I have left an adequate amount of space between each UV on my template. If I make the spacing between my UV's any bigger the quality of my texture will become poor. I was wondering if there were any options in Mudbox 2014 to greatly reduce how far the programme will paint over the edges/seams of my UV's. Any advice you can give me on this problem would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
MatthewDoyleArt
in reply to: gj99aaa

I'm personally not aware of a way to do that in Mudbox, BUT, in Photoshop, you can easily add a layer with the exported UV image (from Maya/Max or whateve you are using), then select the outside of those UVs using a magic wand tool. Then, you can use the grow selection to add a few pixels around the UV shells, then simply delete the over paint from Mudbox on the painted layers using that selection.

Message 3 of 6
-MM-

windows -> preference -> paint -> edge bleed , set to 0

after all painting is done, just use photoshop plugin from flamingpears called "solidify C"

make sure to merge down to one layer in photoshop for creating the edge padding.
only area that should be transparent are pixels outside the UV shells.

plugin name is "Solidify C-150 64bit.8bf"

download from here, scroll down to free plugins at the bottom:

http://www.flamingpear.com/download.html

Message 4 of 6
MatthewDoyleArt
in reply to: -MM-

Oh sweet. You taught an old dog a new trick. 🙂 Thanks!

Matthew Doyle
Technical Marketing Manager

-----------------------------

Area Blog: Game Dev Blog
Watch me on Youtube: Youtube.com/MatthewDoyleArt
Check out some of my work at: MatthewDoyle.com
Message 5 of 6
gj99aaa
in reply to: -MM-

Thank you -MM- and Mathew Doyle for your response to my Mudbox problem. I have a new one which hopefully you will be able to help me with. When I paint in Photoshop, as soon as my Bamboo pen makes contact with my Bamboo tablet, it will paint on my UV template. However when I use Mudbox 2014, the pen won't paint with one touch alone. I have to drag the pen across the tablet to paint on the mesh. Are there any optins in Mudbox 2014 that will allow me to paint in Mudbox the same way that I can in Photoshop? Thank you very much.

Message 6 of 6
MatthewDoyleArt

A few things come to mind. The first 3 are found in the brush properties panel.

1. Turn off stamp spacing, or lower it to 0.

2. Turn off steady storke, or lower it to 0.

3. Adjust min size & min strenght in Advanced->Pen Pressure

4. Ensure your brush pressure sensitivity in your Wacom settings isn't too high.

Matthew Doyle
Technical Marketing Manager

-----------------------------

Area Blog: Game Dev Blog
Watch me on Youtube: Youtube.com/MatthewDoyleArt
Check out some of my work at: MatthewDoyle.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report