Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paint module causing artifacts

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
moreymichael
463 Views, 6 Replies

Paint module causing artifacts

Hi folks.

Anyone else ever have this?: Using front/back in paint to reveal. Both clips are the same, except for speed ramps. As I start zooming in and advancing frame by frame, the front clips changes in contrast, and looks as if it is a very compressed QT. No longer matches back clip. And it just gets worse and worse, the more I paint.

This has been happening for a few days now on 3 different shots (using Smoke 2012). Has cost me hours of extra work.

Any ideas? This is a new problem. Done lots of this sort of work before.

Cheers, Mike.

Cheers, Mike

Late 2013 MacPro, 10.9.5, 2.7 GHz 12-Core, 64GB ram, AMD D700, 1TB SSD
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Robert.Adam
in reply to: moreymichael

Hi Mike.

I assume you've already tried restarting your workstation.

Have you also tried creating a new project and wiring your work there?

Another trick you could try is to create a new Smoke user and see if that helps.

I assume nothing has changed in terms of hardware (especially graphics card) or OS version right before these issues started happening, right?

If none of that works, I recommend calling us to open a support case and have someone take a look at this.

best regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 3 of 7
moreymichael

Hey Robert,

So I tried new Project/User, and the same problem. Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of a big job, so I can't just reload the software and see if that cures it.

Cheers, Mike.

Cheers, Mike

Message 4 of 7
jaseo

It is probably a bug in Smoke 2012. What bit depth are the clips? 10bit? Do you see the issue with 8bit clips?

You should also try changing from RASTER mode to TILED mode. This is usually a good workaround.

cheers

Jason

Message 5 of 7
moreymichael
in reply to: jaseo

Hey Jason.

Yeah, 10 bit. That's what most of my projects are. DPX in and out. I've been using 2012 since, well, 2012, and I haven't come across this before. Is the RASTER thing in the paint module? I should probably know this, since I've been on Inferno since 96, but I pretty much have used the paint box in its default config. Don't do anything too complicated. But this job is a slo-mo motion artifact fix, so there are dozens of paint/reveal passes, and the problem progresses with every version. What exactly is the TILED thing and what is it working around?

Cheers, Mike.

Cheers, Mike

Message 6 of 7
jaseo

Hi Mike,

Yeah, it's in the PAINT module on the right side of the menus. Check it out here (it's from 2014 docs, but not much has changed)

http://docs.autodesk.com/flamepremium2014/files/GUID-FDD3107B-0BA2-4568-8DDD-2996E310A570.htm

cheers

Jason

Message 7 of 7
SugarfreeZA
in reply to: jaseo

Ive also just discovered the same problem. It has occured rather suddenly, but I have not changed any software or hardware. 

The paintbox darkens the area of the image that is visible when zoomed in, not the whole image. so the effect is only visible when viewing full image, as a darkened square representing the previously zoomed in area of the image being painted. It is also happening when I am revealing a saved frame. It becomes more prominent the more I reveal on a particular frame. So each time I go back to the same frame to reveal, the effect becomes more noticeable.

Have not noticed the problem previously, on similar paintwork within the same project.

10bit Dpx

Very frustrating!! Have to redo all the paintwork, or fix it in a new comp to avoid the paint module.

Anyone know of any fixes or workarounds yet?

Using Smoke 2013

Sorry, have just tried the tiled image instead of raster and it seems to have done the trick.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report