Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PNG sequence caching

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
alex
575 Views, 6 Replies

PNG sequence caching

Hi,

when caching .png sequences it happens a lot that some portions of the clip are not beeing cached. Or at least some frames are still pointing to the original .png's so that playback stutters.

This happens both in a normal HD project, but a lot on a current UltraHD 60p project on the proxy-generation (set to 50%).

A workaround is adding an effect, render it and commit the clip. But this is not suitable on the big 60p project.

Observing the percentage counter in the lower left corner gives me the strange suspicion that it is happening to those portions of the clip which are beeing cached during the autosave process.

There are a lot of them. Converting is not an option. Mac and storage are fast enough.

Thanks for any help

Alex

schall&rauch
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
BKM
Advisor
in reply to: alex

I have actually experienced similar issues. Not sure of the cause 100% but background cache and proxy gens does miss frames from time to time.

Mine are on Qt and P2 so it' snot solely .png related.

Flame/Smoke Editor
Check out the Premiumbeat Smoke Blog
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/category/smoke-2/
Message 3 of 7
Robert.Adam
in reply to: BKM

Hi guys.

This sounds like a bug. I did not find this issue in our bug database. I'll try to reproduce it and log a defect.

If you still have the app and shell logs from the time of the glitch, I'd love to get them and see what messages the application logged around that time.

Many thanks!

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 4 of 7
alex
in reply to: Robert.Adam

Hi,

thanks for the quick replies.

By the way, caching takes extremely long AND slows down the machine to be practically unusable. (Mac Pro and iMac, tested on both)

In other words: for a background process it creates way too much processing load and for the load it creates it is about 5 times too slow.

There is definitely something wrong.

Alex

schall&rauch
Message 5 of 7
BKM
Advisor

@alex wrote:

By the way, caching takes extremely long AND slows down the machine to be practically unusable. (Mac Pro and iMac, tested on both)

In other words: for a background process it creates way too much processing load and for the load it creates it is about 5 times too slow.

There is definitely something wrong.

Alex

Sadly, that's normal to a degree.  I believe that backburner/Wiretap uses 4 cores by default. So depending on what you have left over... things can be quite sluggish. 

Flame/Smoke Editor
Message 6 of 7
alex
in reply to: BKM

But don't you think it takes too much time for basically just a simple transcoding?

schall&rauch
Message 7 of 7
BKM
Advisor

Yes. Caching to prores does take more time then I would like

Flame/Smoke Editor

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report