Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mudbox - Maya Tangent Vector Displacement results are poor.

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
vfxboy
657 Views, 1 Reply

Mudbox - Maya Tangent Vector Displacement results are poor.

I've got a bit of a problem with mudbox and tangent vector displacement.
I created a really simple horn mesh and I'm getting poor results with my baked displacement map.

In the pictures below you can see the original mesh and the result i get when i render it in maya.
To eliminate maya as the problem, i used the "sculpt using map" feature to test the baked displacement map and the result is exactly the same. So this leads me to believe the information isn't getting baked into the texture map.

The example above is a simple test, I am actually working on a dragon and I am getting exactly the same problem with the horns. So I created a simpler setup to see if the problem persisted and it does.

Another problem, which could be a maya problem, is that if i rotate the model i get completely different results in the render. I thought tangent spaced vector displacement doesn`t have problems with transformation and deformation.

Oh and the object displacement (which according to the docs shouldn't be used for animated/deformed objects) works very well... it's just the tangent vector displacement which i can`t get to work.

I am using Maya 2014 SP1 and the Arnold renderer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Original Mudbox highres model:
original_mesh.png

Original model level 0:

original_mesh_level0.png

Result in Maya from baked Absolute Tangent Vector Displacement:
vectordispabsolute.jpg

Same model, same map, but rotated (displacement is completely different??):
vectordispabsolute150grad.jpg

The same baked Vector Displacement painted back onto the low res (but subdivided) model in Mudbox:
mapimportedintomudbox.png

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
maxime.goudal
in reply to: vfxboy

hello vfx boy. I have the same problem. Did you find an issue ? Exporting with tangent spatial normally fix the problem. it don't work for me.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report