Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mudbox Does not sculpt....AT ALL.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
davevp
5239 Views, 15 Replies

Mudbox Does not sculpt....AT ALL.

Hi Everyone,
Ok, here it goes. No matter what I pick, a brush, a stamp, whatever, it simply has zero/no effect on the surface. I have tried many different brush sizes many different strength amounts, difffernet brush modes, different stamps, and nothing. Even if I open Mudbox, and just use a simple sphere, still nothing. No matter what I do I can not sculpt on ANY surface imported or native. I can see my cursor dragging over the surface, but no sculpting happening. The last time I opened Mudbox (about 5 months ago), my recollection is that I can just start sculpting away on the default shapes at the very least. I am sure this is something I am just missing, like a check box or option or something, so does anyone know what I am missing? Thanks in advance! 🙂

Running Windows 7, Mudbox 2011 both OS and app are 64 bit. 12gigs of Ram, Dual XEON 2.4, NVIDIA Quadro FX 3500 grfx card.

Could this be an install or grfx card issue?
Thanks!
Dave
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Christoph_Schaedl
in reply to: davevp

try to delete the mudbox settings folder in myDocuments...
----------------------------------------------------------------
https://linktr.ee/cg_oglu
Message 3 of 16
davevp

Hi Oglu,

Thank you for your response. I actually did try that as well, but no success just yet. I think I am going to try a clean reinstall of the app, see if that works.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks again!
Dave
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous

I had the same issue with my mountain...bring it it. and it clips before i can even zoom around...
realised if i scale the object down in your export application..and then bring it in...so the brush max (of 100) is pretty much arounf a third of your model...it will be the right size.
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

try that, were so frustrated but setting up the model is important and easy to use. Thats how i feel about it.
Message 6 of 16
davevp

Thanks for your input silver_shadow.

Yeah, I tried that too. No luck. The problem is, even when I just fire up Mudbox, and use a default Mudbox native sphere right from the get go, it still does not sculpt. I downloaded the demo version again and installed it, but I have the same problem. 😞
Thanks again for your input though 🙂
Message 7 of 16
weshowe

I had the same issue with my mountain...bring it it. and it clips before i can even zoom around...

Another solution is to go to the Object List tab, select the Perspective (camera) and down at the bottom of the properties list change far clip to 100000. For a really big object like a mountain, you might set near clip to 10.

I did not find any way to make that change stick, even by editing in the .xml files, so I had to do it each time I imported the model.
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: weshowe

quick question.
does the basics in mudbox shape, meaning, if you sculpt using the primitives built into it, does they change? If not, somethings wrong dude.. Because those primitives are made to work no matter what.
Message 9 of 16
davevp

Hey silver_shadow,

Thanks for your reply. No, even the primitives don't sculpt. So, yeah, something is wrong, but I am at a loss as to what it is. I even downloaded the free trial version and installed it just to see if it would be ok with a fresh install, and it still does not sculpt. So I assume it is some sort of grfx card/ drivers issue, or some other compatibility problem. The only thing I can think of is that my grfx card is not a "certified" card, but never the less it is still a QuadroFX 3500, so its not a cheap crappy card. Its meant for 3D. Other than that, I have no clue what it could be.
Thanks again for your input 🙂

Dave
Message 10 of 16
weshowe

Do you maybe have the strength or tool size set at zero? The shortcut for size is 'b' and strength is 'm' and a vertical mouse drag to increase or decrease the brush size or pull/push strength of your tools, and by default it applies to all sculpt tools.

<* Wes *>
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous

try he scrape tool on a basic cube...go around the edges...see if that actually do anything...usually it should do it.
Message 12 of 16
RobinBall6995

Have you tried it with both tablet and mouse? If it works with the mouse but not the tablet, then it could be the tablet driver. If it doesn't work with the mouse either (try high values on the default objects) then something else must be going wrong.
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: RobinBall6995

ok try this, i think it could be this...lol
choose sculpt..
go down the properties pallette on the right, look at buildup. that is probably at 0. Make that 20 for a start.
Hope this works and let us know if it does not work.
Message 14 of 16
davevp

So I had to go back to older grfx card drivers, then completely re-install. Works great now!
Thank you to everyone who added their input 🙂

Dave
Message 15 of 16
amelini

So what version of the drivers was failing? And what one was working?
Message 16 of 16
kbm192

I had the same problem. turns out i had a stencil on nd didnt know it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report