Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Matchframe / Match Content / Reveal Segment behavour

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
theonlyandyt
688 Views, 8 Replies

Matchframe / Match Content / Reveal Segment behavour

So, I have an edit with some cut aways(as youy do). The client has now decided that we need to have the sync sound to the cutaways, but I have removed them from tne time for the obvious resasons (the client asked me too).

Now I hit match frame and I get the source clip copied into the library and no sound 😞

OK so I delete the copied clip and try mach content .... same thing. So I try reveal segment ...  

i get  ..

Screen Shot 2014-07-16 at 19.00.45.png

You'll notice the segment is in the library. 

MacBook Pro Retina, 2.7GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, Thunderbolt 2 R6
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
BKM
Advisor
in reply to: theonlyandyt

Your clips are sequences.. at least smoke sees them that way. Reveal will only revels to an atomic clip, or one without the filmstrip icon.

Flame/Smoke Editor
Check out the Premiumbeat Smoke Blog
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/category/smoke-2/
Message 3 of 9
theonlyandyt
in reply to: BKM

How on earth did that happen? These should be regular P2 MXF files. I have done no work on them, simply imported them via the media hub. All of my clips came in this way.

Message 4 of 9
BKM
Advisor

P2 files do that becasue they are not married Video and Audio. They are seperate Audio clips and seperate video clips all tied together with a .xml to make a clip.  it's all in the /CONTENTS directoy of the P2 file stucture.  That's why P2 is the devil. 

Flame/Smoke Editor
Check out the Premiumbeat Smoke Blog
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/category/smoke-2/
Message 5 of 9
theonlyandyt
in reply to: BKM

Yes, I've had my fair share of P2 poo, however, I have have just tested this. And the clips come in correctly.

Anyway I'm nearing the end of this job now, I've matched everything by hand and eye. and done all the subs in CFX 😞
Message 6 of 9
Grant.Kay

Did you import the sources in before conforming or did you do a conform and seek out the sources?

Basically, I am asking if there is a copy of the original clips in the media panel.

Secondly, it might be worth noting that when you import the media through the media panel, it will import video and audio as a sync group. If you conformed the sequence without importing the media first, than all segments in the sequence will not be related to a sync group even if the video and audio are in sync.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards
Grant

Grant Kay
Principal Learning Content Developer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Official Autodesk Flame Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/flamehowtos

The Official Autodesk Smoke Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos

Also available as podcasts on iTunes

Follow me on twitter @discreetuk for the latest training updates.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 7 of 9
theonlyandyt
in reply to: Grant.Kay

Hay Grant,

Thanks for the relpy. My sequence was all edited in Smoke, there was no conform. 

So I imported the clips and editied them to my sequence. The weird thing is that now, when I import the clips are correct (eg the are not sequences). I have been unable to re-create importing the clips as sequences. Maybe my import setting were wrong? Is there a button for importing as sequences? 

Now I'm thinking about it, I do remember when I originaly imported them, I had a dialog box that I think looked like it was rendering (can't quite remember). My thought was "the devs haven't enabled P2 background rendering yet" It did take a long time I remember that.

weird.

Message 8 of 9
theonlyandyt
in reply to: Grant.Kay

OK so, I think I've figured it out. 

In the "Clip Options" - "Format Specific Options" for P2. There is a Clip name setting. By default it is set to "Clip Name from File Name" This causes (my) smoke to import the clips as sequences. I also discovered that if I set it to "Clip Name from Essence" the browser does not update the file names, but when importing the clips I get diffrent file names (persumably from the essence) and the clip is correctly read in as a segment. However, in may case, this switch became stuck. No matter what I set it to, it would consistanly use the "Clip Name from Essence" setting. Only a restart of Smoke resored the function.

This leaves me in a bit of a bind as my sequence has been made with the default "Clip Name from File Name" so relinking may be a problem. 😞

Message 9 of 9
theonlyandyt

Actually, relinked fine. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report