Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a new archive system

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
sonstegard
357 Views, 2 Replies

Looking for a new archive system

Currently, I'm using a Cache-A LTO4 system and I've been having some bugs with it.  LTO4 is out-dated so, I'm wondering what everyone is using.  My Smoke archive files range from 5 GB to over 1TB...depending on the project.  Thanks for any advice.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
moreymichael
in reply to: sonstegard

I archive to Lacie drives (various models), usually in the 6Tb size range. Large drives are getting cheaper by the day, and they'll be good until the rear ports are no longer compatible (can you say firewire 400?).

Cheers, Mike

Late 2013 MacPro, 10.9.5, 2.7 GHz 12-Core, 64GB ram, AMD D700, 1TB SSD
Message 3 of 3
sonstegard
in reply to: moreymichael

Thanks Mike.

I'm leaning towards the tape back-up systems.  I've had drives fail on me and I don't want to go down that road again.  All though, if your running a RAID w/backup you should be fine.  LTO tapes should last 20 years or as long as I have a drive that can play them back 🙂  But, I believe that they can only read back 2 version(I have to check on this). i.e.  LTO6 can read LTO4 tapes but not LTO3.  So, I'm sitting on the fence with a LTO4 drive wondering if purchasing a LTO6 is the best option.  It may be, but, that's why I posted this question, wondering what other post houses are doing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report