Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Images in viewer are not matching the QT output

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
627 Views, 3 Replies

Images in viewer are not matching the QT output

This is not a YUV headroom issue just to be clear and Im not looking at a broadcast output. Using my Eizo monitor with smoke I just did a color correction and exported a prores 422 hq with and with out yuv headroom. What Im noticing is that the color of the image in the smokes viewer is more saturated than the output which is being viewd in qt 7 and whatever the other qt is. Im not talking fine details here, Im talking about whoa whats going on with this isnt remotley close to being in the same ballpark. In short when I tab over to the qt file and shrink it and place it side by side by what is in the smokes viewer they do not match on the same monitor. Anybody have an explanation, no I can not post an image as its confidential.
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

went into QT preferences and enabled Final cut stuido color compatability and now they match.
Message 3 of 4
jaseo
in reply to: Anonymous

Smoke and Quicktime Player (and other quicktime apps) handle gamma "differently".

QT makes assumptions on the gamma of YUV QT files being 2.2, and RGB QT files are 1.8. Therefore, for a YUV QT such as Prores 422 HQ, it will automatically lower gamma to 1.8 for display purposes.

Smoke does not apply these automatic changes. This means that if you wanted to export a YUV QT from smoke to be used in FCP, you would need to compensate for these automatic changes when you export. (there are 1.8 to 2.2. and 2.2 to 1.8 gamma presets)

It's been an annoyance for some time.

cheers

Jason

Message 4 of 4
ManChicken
in reply to: jaseo

Quicktime is a disaster.  I wish it would just die.

Bob Maple | idolum

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report