Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMPORTANT: Mac OS X 10.9 Compatibility with Autodesk Smoke

57 REPLIES 57
SOLVED
Message 1 of 58
Robert.Adam
15005 Views, 57 Replies

IMPORTANT: Mac OS X 10.9 Compatibility with Autodesk Smoke

Hi everyone.

Autodesk is working closely with Apple to certify Autodesk® Smoke® software on the new Apple® Mac OS® X 10.9.

Until further notice, we recommend that you do not upgrade to 10.9 as you may experience degraded performance and other unexpected behavior.

Further updates on Smoke and Mac OS X 10.9 will be provided soon.

Regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

57 REPLIES 57
Message 41 of 58

I'm EXTREMELY disappointed that this is still unresolved. I purchased a new MCP when I started school then downloaded Smoke 2013 in anticipation of taking the class that is offered for my bachelor's program only to find out that I'm unable to use Smoke AT ALL. Everytime I inquire about it, I get the same AUTO RESPONSE about not using OS 10.9, however, it is the OS that this MCP came with. I will need to fulfill the editing component of my degree soon, and want to do so with the class that is offered for Smoke but cannot see doing so if I am unable to practice on my computer at home to do homework. How much longer are we talking here? 2015 or 2016 before we have a fix?

Very frustrated film student,

Dallas

error 110 when trying to activate Smoke on MCP for the first time

MacBook Pro

15 inch, mid 2012

Processor  2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory  16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics  Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB

Software  OS X 10.9.1 (13B42)

Message 42 of 58
julioleon
in reply to: Robert.Adam

I have seen another strange behaviour under Mavericks: I cant open archives made from the same version of Smoke running on Mountain Lion.

Smoke 2015 SP3
Mac Pro 6 cores
OS X 10.10
32 GB RAM
Message 43 of 58
Robert.Adam
in reply to: julioleon

Hi Julio.

This happens because Apple have removed the /usr/bin/gnutar command from OS 10.9.

Smoke's archive restore feature relies on that command to unpack the archives.

A quick fix is to simply create a symlink to the regular /usr/bin/tar, which still exists in OS 10.9:

sudo ln -s /usr/bin/tar /usr/bin/gnutar

Once you do this, whenever Smoke calls the gnutar command, it will actually use the tar command, which does the same thing (as far as Smoke is concerned).

Another fix is to actually install the missing gnutar package (you can find it online, it's open source).

Regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 44 of 58
majush
in reply to: cdallasgolden1

any luck with 10.9.2???

On Smoke 2016
Message 45 of 58

Amazingly, I noticed some improvement in stability. At least for me the gain was significant. The render times still the same, no gain here. In the short time I used yesterday to think're almost usable.

PS - In my case, I not had a lot of loss of stability when I upgraded to 10.9.1, so I still thing that the best way is still wait for Smac2014 for any serious job.

regards,

Raphael Góes
Art Director / Freelancer

http://www.facebook.com/raphael.goes.52
Message 46 of 58
julioleon
in reply to: RaphaelGóes

Is this comment on 10.9.2?
Smoke 2015 SP3
Mac Pro 6 cores
OS X 10.10
32 GB RAM
Message 47 of 58
MarioFaria

good morning
Any good news
Remains better not install smoke in Maverick?

thanks

Message 48 of 58
Robert.Adam
in reply to: MarioFaria

Hi Mario.

Yes, we still recommend NOT installing Smoke on Mavericks at this time.

Stay tuned for updates.

Regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 49 of 58
whiskers

Hi Robert,

I just thought to mention that my single-user Smoke license installed itself today on a late 2013 Macbook Pro. Previously I had issues and support told me it was not possible unless I had a network license. I did use a trial version which expired a few weeks ago but I opened the program today and it started up without fuss and I got the email form AD saying thanks for registering, (although my act of registering happend 2 months ago...) I imagine the other Mavericks issues are still there. I will try to load an old archive later.

Harold

Athens, Greece

Message 50 of 58
Robert.Adam
in reply to: whiskers

Hi Harold.

That sounds pretty bizzare, but I'm glad it worked.

As for restoring archives, a quick workaround is to run this command in a terminal (just once).

sudo ln -s /usr/bin/tar /usr/bin/gnutar

Note however that there are still performance issues with Mavericks. We are working with Apple on those as well.

Best regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 51 of 58
Robert.Adam

Hi everyone.

As you might have heard, we have released a new service pack for Smoke 2013 Ext1 and a new service pack for Smoke 2013 to introduce compatibility with OS X 10.9 "Mavericks". Details here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/General-Discussion/Smoke-2013-Ext1-SP1-and-2013-SP3-released-compatibl...

Best regards,

robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 52 of 58
captain

Any chance it'll run on the new Mac Pros now?

Message 53 of 58
Grant.Kay
in reply to: captain

It should run on the new mac pros.

Regards
Grant

Grant Kay
Principal Learning Content Developer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Official Autodesk Flame Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/flamehowtos

The Official Autodesk Smoke Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos

Also available as podcasts on iTunes

Follow me on twitter @discreetuk for the latest training updates.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 54 of 58
jamesgrean
in reply to: Grant.Kay

Any word on Yosemite compatibility?

About to add a new Mac Pro to a facility, but as of last night Mavericks has been replaced by Yosemite. It's nigh on impossible to download Mavericks as Apple removes all links to it. So if we order the new machine, it's coming with Yosemite on it.

Does Smoke and Flame Assist run (better or worse) on OSX Yosemite?

Thanks,

James.

Message 55 of 58
ksirul
in reply to: Grant.Kay

new Mac Pro 12core 64gb RAM Dual D700

I just upgraded my OS to 10.9.5 from 10.9.2 and although Smoke is still not working as fast as it should, there is definately a performance improvement.  I also installed Smoke 2015 EXT 1 for desktop subscription.  Again, some performance boost.  Before EXT1 on 10.9.2, playing through an unrendered text on a gap would beachball.  Once I upgraded to 10.9.5, I was able to play through the unrendered text, however the video would freeze on the frame before the text and pick up after the text.  Now with EXT 1, the timeline will play through the unrendered text, although very choppy, but I can see the text.  Matchbox in the timeline is great.  Even better for me is that, now, when I go into text edit, I can see the video underneath the text!! This is huge and was not the case in SP1.  It was black.  The odd thing is that this is only with newly created titles.  If I go into the text editor on a text that was created before EXT1, I still get black background and CTL 1 just shows me the beginning of the timeline.  I was told by my AD sales person that Yosemite is supported but I'm hesitant as I'm not sure how Avid MC will behave.  I will probably clone my HD later this week and give it a shot.  System is still slow but somewhat workable to finish any current work.

Message 56 of 58
Robert.Adam
in reply to: jamesgrean

Hi James.

OS X 10.10 "Yosemite" is supported as of Smoke 2015 Ext1 (Desktop Subscription), Flame Assist 2015 Ext2 and Flare 2015 Ext2.

Regards,
Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 57 of 58
sonstegard

Robert,

Is Smoke2015 sp2 supported on OS 10.10?

Message 58 of 58
Robert.Adam
in reply to: sonstegard

Hi Keith.

Unfortunately not.

Smoke 2015 SP2 was released in early September when OS 10.10. was still in beta.

Best regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report