Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't reinstall autodesk smoke in my macbook pro retina

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
rafael.elonrio
1308 Views, 5 Replies

I can't reinstall autodesk smoke in my macbook pro retina

Hello, 

Someone can help me about that? I install Autodesk Smoke in my macbook pro retina, but not work here. So I reinstall it, but my mac show me: "Already install".

Please, I need that.

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Hi Rafael.

You must uninstall Smoke first. Then try re-installing it again.

If it still gives you that error message even after having uninstalled it, open the Terminal app and type the following command:

sudo rm -rf /usr/discreet/.installResume

Enter your password when asked.

Then try re-installing smoke again.

Best regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 3 of 6

Thank you for your help, but it not work. Smiley Sad

I'll keep trying.

Message 4 of 6

Hi Rafael.

Did you create any projects in Smoke? If not, then we can try removing all of Smoke's folders and files and see if that lets you reinstall it.

Here's how.

Remember: THIS DELETES ALL YOUR SMOKE PROJECTS AND THEIR CLIP LIBRARIES (from ALL versions of Smoke)! Only do this if you don't have any Smoke projects you want to keep.

1. Use the unintaller to uninstall Smoke (I assume you've already done that).

2. Open the Terminal app.

3. Type the following command:

pkgutil --packages | grep com.autodesk.smoke | sudo xargs -L1 pkgutil --forget

4. Enter your password when asked.

5. Now type:

sudo rm -rf /usr/discreet/*

6. Now type:

sudo rm -rf /Applications/Autodesk/Smoke*

7. Restart your Mac and try installing Smoke again.

Let me know if that worked.

Regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 5 of 6
beth
in reply to: Robert.Adam

What if you DO have projects that you want to keep? I can't seem to find those instructions anywhere. Please advise and thank you.

Message 6 of 6
arichards
in reply to: beth

When you uninstall Smoke the projects are left intact so that if you later reinstall the software then projects are still there for you to draw upon. If you install a later version of Smoke (say 2016 in place of 2015) then you change "current version" to "all versions" and all projects created in versions previous to the current one show up in the list. They must then be converted to be useable but the older version is left intact so that you can still open it in earlier versions of Smoke. The pity for me is that it is not so easy (as in most other software) to move the project from station to station without having it on the same network or making an archive. Be good if it was as simple as, well almost all other software (Adobe, Apple, Microsoft, etc. etc.).

Cheers

Tony

HP Z840, 80GB Ram, Quadro M6000x24GB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report