Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to combine/source components from separate files?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
leifmariussen
9086 Views, 7 Replies

How to combine/source components from separate files?

I have made components in seperate files thinking I can combine them in a final assembly. I have not found an import from project option or been able to copy+paste components.. any tips to get going?

leifm

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
colin.smith
in reply to: leifmariussen

Hi Leifm, 

To bring Fusion data in to an existing work space go the search field in the top left of the screen and enter the name of the file you want to import.  

search1.png

Fusion will search all the projects that you have access to and show a list of files that match your search.  

search2.png

Select the file from the list and it will open in your current work space.

search3.PNG

Hope that helps.

Colin

Colin Smith
Sr. Product Manager
SketchBook
Alias Create VR (aka Project Sugarhill)
Automotive & Conceptual Design Group
Message 3 of 8
leifmariussen
in reply to: colin.smith

Super. Thankyou very much for your help. I was able to copy and paste once I had the helpline on top open. I had it at start but managed to rearrange it 🙂
Message 4 of 8
rnl9t
in reply to: colin.smith

I have the same question (bringing several separate files together into on workspace) but the current version of Fusion does not look like the pictures, and I can't find a search bar.  Has this changed since this solution was give?

Thanks

Message 5 of 8
AndrewSears
in reply to: rnl9t

We did change the UI.  What you are looking for now is "Insert" under the ASSEMBLE drop down.

insert.png

This will bring up the dialog to search and insert files into the open models.

Thanks,

Andy 

Message 6 of 8
loddie
in reply to: AndrewSears

I have the same question.  However, the first and second solutions in this thread don't work.  It appears the user interface has changed yet again.  When I go to the Assemble menu, there is no option for Insert, even after I have copied the desired items from another Fusion 360 project design file.   How does one copy components from one design file to another?

Message 7 of 8

Hello loddie,

You can insert a component/assembly into an existing design by:

1. Right mouse button on a thumbnail in the datapanel
  2. Select "Insert"

This will bring in the file as a component into the current design. 

Cheers,

-srinath

InsertComponent.jpg

Message 8 of 8
ahspooner
in reply to: leifmariussen

The above 2 strategies are not working. I am a student and has Fusion 360. Just wondering if there is a new way to do this as of a new update?

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report