Flame Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Flame Family (Flame, Flare, Flame Assist, Lustre) Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Flame topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flame for longform projects?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
roricam
557 Views, 4 Replies

Flame for longform projects?

Hi,

Is anyone using Flame for longform projects, especially tv documentaries?  Are there any limitations to Flames timeline in terms of duration?

Thanks,

Rory

Fl/ustre Op at Reelgood Studios, Dublin. Ireland
(Flame Premium 2016 SP1)
Tags (3)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Grant.Kay
in reply to: roricam

Hi,

No there is no limit on the duration of the timeline.

In the past, people used to shy away from doing too much long form in Flame because it only worked in uncompressed. So you needed a ton of storage and performance to achieve that.

Now days, there is support for compressed intermediates like DNxHD, hardware performance is much better and storage is definitely cheaper…

I don't see any reason why you couldn't now.

Regards
Grant

Grant Kay
Principal Learning Content Developer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Official Autodesk Flame Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/flamehowtos

The Official Autodesk Smoke Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos

Also available as podcasts on iTunes

Follow me on twitter @discreetuk for the latest training updates.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 5
roricam
in reply to: Grant.Kay

Thanks very much Grant.

Fl/ustre Op at Reelgood Studios, Dublin. Ireland
(Flame Premium 2016 SP1)
Message 4 of 5
Beau_James

At my last place, we did a few long form documentaries, a couple episodics for the discovery channel and 3 full length features.  Mostly were the following workflow:

Flame (conform/cleanup/prep for color) > Lustre > Flame (beauty, addtl cleanup, etc) > Export.

The only real issue we ran into was storage space, but an addition DH took care of that.

So yes, Flame will work in longform and it has been done.

Message 5 of 5
A_Over_B

My first TV show conform was on fire 1.0 in a basement in 97 i think.

It was PAL: 45 minutes long.

Nightmare.

I conformed an 84 minute show on Monday on flame.

It has 1100 events, 300 something visual effects shots.

It is broken into chunks/reels because it's much harder to hand off 1000 things to someone and say fix all that - they kind of melt.

Handing off chunks of 200 or 250 things is still a tall order but it brings out the puffed chest response.

flame doesn't seem to change if it's a gigantic timeline or a 20 event commercial.

It might seem slower at loading the timeline but in context it's because it's fifty something times larger.

With uncompressed material like single layer DPX files it's fantastically responsive.

With many CPU heavy task like soft transcoding from R3D, ARRIRAW it can feel like you're in molasses but once the transcode takes place it's pretty interesting.

120,000 frames of uncompressed 2k or 3k or 4k in realtime is always an interesting sensation for a user/artist/editor

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report