Community
Fusion Educators
Are you an educator who uses Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) in their courses in secondary and post-secondary? This is the official Autodesk forum for educators like yourself to share the success you are having with Fusion in the classroom.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extracting different EXR channels from single image import node...?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
rawalanche
3522 Views, 0 Replies

Extracting different EXR channels from single image import node...?

Is it possible? So i do not have to duplicate numerous import, and then have to rewire them all once the input changes? I tried several different nodes with names indicating they could be doing what i want them to do, but i did not find a node that would extract different EXR channel (for example reflection pass) from an image import node.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Steve_Curley
in reply to: rawalanche

File > Import > [navigate to the .exr and highlight it] > Right-click the filename > Import All Channels. I think - worth a try 😉

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 9
rawalanche
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Thanks for quick reply, but this unfortunately does not work. It just creates compound with all the duplicate nodes inside. So if i for example have 20 channels, and i get an updated output, i still have to go through each single node and change the file path. 

Message 4 of 9
Steve_Curley

But they are at least all in one place inside the "tool". Might be possible to have a Python script ask for the new filename and replace the the existing ones (one per Image Import node) with the new one, or effectively click the Reload button for each node (if the filename is the same). Sadly I know next to nothing about Python, but there are some examples provided which might provide some pointers.

Looking at the Channel assignments they do seem to be tied to an Image Import node, which is presumably why the Import All Channels creates multiple input nodes rather than a single node with multiple outputs.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 5 of 9
rawalanche

Yeah, seems like scripting is only possible way in this case. Thanks for your effort 😉

Message 6 of 9
Steve_Curley

With any luck one of the local gurus will notice this and at least confirm/deny the possibility (of a script). Looking at:-
[CompositeInstallDir]\Resources\Scripts\Actions\multiChannelImport.py
which is (apparently) what the Import All Channels actually does, would suggest that it is (possible).

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 7 of 9
FalconCrest
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Scripting is possible the only way, I feel your pain.

Message 8 of 9
rawalanche

It is just a minor thing though. I am really glad composite is now back in the game as i know how to avoid crashes (having more than one frame in my composition) 🙂

Message 9 of 9
Steve_Curley

I'm just glad they now include a decent compositor with Max - even if it does crash occasionally 😄

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report