Flame Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Flame Family (Flame, Flare, Flame Assist, Lustre) Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Flame topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DKU-8.0.1 killed Nvidia driver for Z800

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
LilJoker
2501 Views, 10 Replies

DKU-8.0.1 killed Nvidia driver for Z800

Installed the new dku that comes with 2014.0.1 and got an Nvidia error on boot.  Here is what dlConfigCheck tells me:

Checking if nVidia kernel module is loaded :          PASSED
Quadro FX 5800 Driver to be 310.32 :                    FAILED 260.19.44
Checking for nvidia 32bit compatibility libs :          PASSED libgl 260.19.44
Hirez certification with video out:                           FAILED Wrong driver!

tried to install from th website and also the .run installer from the DKU (/usr/discreet/DKU/DKU_8.0.1-1/bin/system_rpm/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-310.32-custom.run).

/var/log/nvidia-installer.log gives this error:

creation time: Tue Nov 12 10:42:20 2013
installer version: 310.32

PATH: /usr/lib64/qt-3.3/bin:/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/lib/modules/dvs/linux/bin/:/usr/discreet/sw/tools:/usr/discreet/sw:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/root/bin

nvidia-installer command line:
./nvidia-installer

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface
ERROR: An NVIDIA kernel module 'nvidia' appears to already be loaded in your kernel. This may be because it is in use (for example, by the X server), but may also happen if your kernel was configured without support for module unloading. Please be sure you have exited X before attempting to upgrade your driver. If you have exited X, know that your kernel supports module unloading, and still receive this message, then an error may have occured that has corrupted the NVIDIA kernel module's usage count; the simplest remedy is to reboot your computer.
ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details. You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

Tried killing X and reinstalling DKU.  No love.

Looks like it isn't unloading the old driver to allow the new driver to be installed.  Needless to say, Flame opens but once it goes to initialize the video it goes grey and stays there.

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Robert.Adam
in reply to: LilJoker

Hi

Have you tried rebooting your workstation and then reinstalling the driver?

Regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 3 of 11
LilJoker
in reply to: Robert.Adam

Yes.  A few times.  Also, from alternate sources like what I mentioned above.  Nvidia's site and from inside the DKU.

Just did a fresh reboot after installing the DKU and captured this message (attached):

Message 4 of 11
Robert.Adam

Let's try it this way:

1. Reboot.

2. When the blue HP splash screen goes away and you get the "Booting Red Hat Linux.." screen, press any key to stop the boot process. You'll get to the GRUB menu.

3. Select the "Red Hat" line and press e to edit it.

4. Select the kernel line and press e again. this will take you to the end of the line.

5. Add the word 'single' (no quotes) to the end of the line and press Enter. You'll be returned to the OS selection.

6. Press b to boot. This will start Linux in single user text only mode, where the NVIDIA drive is surely not loaded.

7. Run the DKU installer (or the NVIDIA driver installer) again.

Regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 5 of 11
LilJoker

I'll give it a try.  I had thought about adding the flag --no-x-check or booting to single user mode.

Good call.  I'll be back in 20 minutes with an update.

Thanks.

Message 6 of 11
LilJoker

Same error message on boot, dlConfigCheck and same issue remains after running DKU from single user mode.

Next suggestion?

Message 7 of 11
Robert.Adam

At this point I advise you to give us a call and open a support case. This sounds like it needs more detailed troubleshooting.

Regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 8 of 11
ollieslats

I too I’m trying to update my Nvidia driver

ok when I try the above steps I get three lines

root (hd0,0 )

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-128.e15.ADSK ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 ( arrow thingy)

initrd /initrd-2.6.18-128.e15.ADSK.img

if I Select the kernel line and press e again I get;

<00/LogVol00 selinux=0

I added single at the end of the line and rebooted, I still could not update the Nvidia driver it said that module was already loaded.

Message 9 of 11
ollieslats
in reply to: ollieslats

anyone??

Message 10 of 11
jaseo
in reply to: ollieslats

If you can't manually install it in init 3, there is most likely a zombie process using the nvidia module that is preventing the upgrade. Monster sparks have been a known culprit. Once you kill those processes in init 3, the nvidia driver update should complete.

Do you have monsters? try running

ps aux | grep -i monster

if that returns any processes, note the <PID> and use

kill -9 <PID>

If that is not it, easiest would be to call support to sort it out in a few minutes.

cheers

Jason

Message 11 of 11
ollieslats
in reply to: jaseo

It was the monsters, followed your steps and got the driver updated.

thanks so much!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report