Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cutting 3D curves

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
anewenergy
485 Views, 4 Replies

Cutting 3D curves

OK, so my mold cavity is under way.  I have an ultrasonic weld feature that needs to be cut independed of the rest of the mold calvity.  Here is an image.  How can I drive a spline top ge the finished feature with a sharp pointed cutter?  What is the CAM move that can make a cutter follow a curve to cut the ultrasonic weld feature.

weld features.jpg

Automating great ideas. Tooling & Technologies
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
bobvdd
in reply to: anewenergy

If the spline shape you want to drive is a 2D shape, you can use the Trace operation in the CAM.

trace.JPG

If the shape is a 3D shape, you will need to use some of the 3D CAM operations.

Without seeing the exact shape of your ultrasonic weld, it is hard to give more detailed advice.

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 3 of 5
anewenergy

The curve that you are proposing is 3d in nature. I will need to drive the curve
Automating great ideas. Tooling & Technologies
Message 4 of 5
bobvdd

The curve progresses in a 2D plane. Personally I would not call it 3D. But maybe I need a clearer understanding of what you mean by "drive".

Can you provide a scanned sketch or more pictures of what you intend to do? 

Thanks.

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 5 of 5
jeff.walters

Bob is right on with this one. the 2D trace will do what i think your looking for. while it is listed under 2D it will trace in 3 axis. Just keep in mind that it is taking the center point of the tool and driving it along the selected edge and not looking at what the outter edge is cutting.

Jeff Walters
Senior Support Engineer, CAM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report