Flame Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Flame Family (Flame, Flare, Flame Assist, Lustre) Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Flame topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a bevel

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
HalloweenJack2
585 Views, 6 Replies

Creating a bevel

Hi folks,

I'm trying to use a displacement map to raise the surface of a caption into a bevel.

A while back a created this character in After Effects using a 3rd party plugin called freeform. This works like Displacement map by pushing a surface in z according to a matte layer.

The fiddle was to get the nice pointy peaks. I put a bevel effect on the text (I can't seem to attach more than one image to a post any more so I'll put this in a reply) and then drew thin stroke lines over the text. Then I used these lines and a few matte shrinks and blurs to create a displacement matte that did the job.

I'm wondering if this is possible in Flame?

Either more directly or is there some way to shrink the matte of the text to be left with the peak lines. Or perhaps there's a bevel effect somewhere?

Any ideas?

Cheers

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp283/HalloweenJack2/FFinal0-00-01-12_zps4c9a8ce3.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Message 3 of 7
Grant.Kay
in reply to: HalloweenJack2

Hi,

Just from looking at your screen grab, This should be very possible in Flame.

I would use the bevel to raise the text but I would use a linear curve so that the front face if small and the back face is large. This should create the raised effect in your screen grab.

As for the "chips" in the text, you should be able to throw a displacement map on the 3D text and massage it until you get your results.

If you have more time to experiment, this might be a great case to use substance texture. Using all the maps in a variety of textures should get you a similar look.

Hope this helps!

Regards
Grant

Grant Kay
Principal Learning Content Developer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Official Autodesk Flame Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/flamehowtos

The Official Autodesk Smoke Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos

Also available as podcasts on iTunes

Follow me on twitter @discreetuk for the latest training updates.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 4 of 7
HalloweenJack2
in reply to: Grant.Kay

Any other ideas folks?

I'd love to be able to do this in Flame. Although I can create it in After Effects I can'e export it to Flame in 3D.

Cheers

Message 5 of 7
HalloweenJack2
in reply to: Grant.Kay

Sorry, I thought I'd replied to the message 3 from Grant...

Thanks Grant but that way creates bevels of equal width so it doesn't work on fonts with varying thickness to their characters.

Even if you choose a font with vary even thickness it gets messy on junctions of lines.

It can't really get that nice pointy look.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: HalloweenJack2

in a nutshell: not possible.  You could manually paint up each face, but all the edge-normal extrudes (specifically 3d text's bevel and pixelspread's stretch) don't stop when they hit each other so making those nice chiseled shapes isn't doable in a procedural way.

Message 7 of 7

Ah, too bad.

Thanks anyway.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report