Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating CFX when entering clip with none

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
ksirul
298 Views, 2 Replies

Creating CFX when entering clip with none

Sometimes if I enter the text editor on a clip with no CFX, or move a clip with no CFX to a top track, Smoke will beachball and say Creating Connect FX before completing the task I ask of it.  Why is this?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Grant.Kay
in reply to: ksirul

Hi,

The underlying engine of all the Timeline FX is based on ConnectFX.

When you apply any Timeline FX to a segment, a ConnectFX flow graph is actually being created.

You obviously can't see the flow graph when just applying effects as TimelineFx but you can go into ConnectFX which will fully expose the pipeline that was created when you applied the tools.

In a nutshell, that is why you see that message.

However, the beachball should not happen if it something quite quick and simple. That may be something you need to report to Autodesk Support.

Regards
Grant

Grant Kay
Principal Learning Content Developer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Official Autodesk Flame Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/flamehowtos

The Official Autodesk Smoke Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos

Also available as podcasts on iTunes

Follow me on twitter @discreetuk for the latest training updates.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 3
ksirul
in reply to: Grant.Kay

Thanks Grant.  That actually gives me a better understanding of how Smoke effects architecture works.  As far as the beachballing, this is an unfortunate problem that is pointing to the OS (Mavericks).  Support is looking into it but what they found was that the OS was not allowing enough RAM to be assigned to Smoke, regardless of how you set it.  Once a sequence gets longer than 20 minutes, the system slows down considerably and when you are in the 2 hour range, the system grinds to an unworkable halt.  Very unfortunate since 70% of my work is longform finishing.  That means that once I manage to slug through my current job, I'll need to hold off on Smoke and get my DS back up and running until this can be sorted out.  In this state, it is an unuseable system :(((.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report