Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting High-Poly Imports to Stamps

59 REPLIES 59
SOLVED
Message 1 of 60
Anonymous
1365 Views, 59 Replies

Converting High-Poly Imports to Stamps

Hi,

i'm wondering if it is possible to import high detailed models in mudbox and convert them tnto stamps, so to create displacement maps for my architectural models.

I need stamps with undercuts, is that possible ?

What is the whole process ?

Like here :

My aim is to keep the working 3D scene very lean and rather make use of displacement instead, to prevent straining the system with too high poly count during scene design, animation design etc.  ... any opinions on this ?

I know that at render time the system is being challenged with the displacement rendering. Will have to see how much DP my sytem allows me to render at a time.

Regards,

Frank

59 REPLIES 59
Message 21 of 60
FalconCrest
in reply to: Anonymous

Sorry I don't understand ?
Message 22 of 60
Anonymous
in reply to: FalconCrest

its about generating the necessary changes on a plane through an imported onbject.

Message 23 of 60
FalconCrest

You have a picture, which you posted in one of your earlier messages, you want a part of the picture to be a VDM so you can sculpt it onto a torus / ring ?
Message 24 of 60
Anonymous

i actually want to create a plane (A), then to import a polymesh object (B) and have it amend the plane A to have the shape of B. This result i here call C. C basically is the amended plane A, it is not a separate object. When I have C, i want to generate a VDM of it, so i can use it in Maxwell Render, to have a plane being rendered as C.

Message 25 of 60
FalconCrest

You want to create a plane, import your mesh and bake the mesh onto the plane, correct ?
Message 26 of 60
Anonymous

yup

Message 27 of 60
FalconCrest

What is the image or part of the image, you want baked onto the plane for a VDM map ?
Message 28 of 60
Anonymous

its not an image i want to bake in the plane. Its the imported polymesh object (B) that i want to bake in the plane (A).

Message 29 of 60
FalconCrest

You can't, you'd have to sculpt what you want onto a plane. The geometry on the plane is different compared to the geometry you want to bake, therefore the only solution is to sculpt what you want from the geometry onto the plane, then bake the plane as a VDM and you can use on anything.
Message 30 of 60
Anonymous

In 3DS its possible to use the projection modifier on a plane and setup this modifier to "embrace" any given other object. That then can Render to Texture a VDM which can be imported (with that plane) to Mudbox and represent the case, that an object has been VDM imported to a plane and can be further refined in Mudbox etc. 

I've tried it and it works, but it only so far worked for me as DP (displacement map) but not VDM (vectore displacement map which allows for holes / cavities / undercuts). The VDM that is being generated in 3DS still is just a grayscale ramp.

Who can help in this and has experience on generating VDM in 3DS ?

Message 31 of 60
FalconCrest

This tool you refer to "embrace" it's only in 3D Studio Max, correct, and the tools name is "embrace" ?

Message 32 of 60
Anonymous

i think its called "projection" and the embracing is a value that needs to be adjusted manually. Everything inside it will be subject to the Render to Texture function.

Message 33 of 60
Anonymous

would be great if someone has some experience in Render To Texture and can tell how to succeed in creating a VDM for a plane object with it, from a given tea pot object for example.

Message 34 of 60
FalconCrest

I'd like to see this in action, could you make a video with something simple ?
Message 35 of 60
Anonymous

here is the video i followed from :

Message 36 of 60
FalconCrest

That is projecting an object to a plane to create a normal map, not to create a VDM map. There may be other software to do what you want!
Message 37 of 60
Anonymous

look here, you can add a hight map, that is to create the hight info.

Message 38 of 60
FalconCrest

Height map is nearly identical to Normal Map, the difference is when viewing a normal on an angle you still see the depth, compared to a height map which you see is flat.
Message 39 of 60
Anonymous

see, here i'm using height maps, which i created with grade mapping, as displacement map

Message 40 of 60
FalconCrest

Then use sculpt using displacement maps in Mudbox !

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report