Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant Crashing when exiting (or entering) CFX

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
279 Views, 7 Replies

Constant Crashing when exiting (or entering) CFX

I'm finding it virtually impossible to evaluate the software (2013 Pre-release v2) since I'm getting constant crashing when setting up seemingly basic batches in CFX. (One Action node with 2 layers each with a gmask). Typically the software crashes when I attempt to exit CFX. On a few rare occasions it has let me exit, but when I try to re-enter CFX it hangs (spinning beach ball) and crashes.

I've got a 1920x1080 project with ProRes422HQ set up as my default.

I've got a 12 core MacPro with 24gb of RAM.

Could it be my source files? My storage system (just a Firewire 800 drive)?

Just wondering if it's me, or if others are having problems with CFX being largely un-usabe.

I've un-insatlled and re-installed the software. Created new projects and new users, but non of those attempts seem to have helped at all.

Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
BKM
Advisor
in reply to: Anonymous

I had a recent bad crashing spell with Action with 3D Text and Multi-material, lights and shadows.
Reproduceable every time. Error reports were sent.

Flame/Smoke Editor
Check out the Premiumbeat Smoke Blog
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/category/smoke-2/
Message 3 of 8
chismoke

Yes, I had big time crashes when trying to exit cnfx when I first installed pre2 software.

I narrowed the problem down to the following, but of course your mileage may vary.

If I loaded two clips into cnfx, it pipes one into the bkd and one as an input, if i then added another input and connected that input to the bkd clip it crashed 100% of the time when i tried to exit. However,In the same scenario, if i disconnected the bkd clip from the action node it was fine.

If i repeated the same steps and instead of adding an input and connecting to the bkd clip, if I added the clip directly into the media list no problems, or if I added an input and drag/dropped
the same bkd clip from the media library, no problem.

So, If I need to turn a bkd clip into an input clip I make sure to disconnect it from the action node...I don't think I've had a crash since and I've been pounding cnfx fairly hard on a recent project.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: chismoke

Thanks floke, are you saying that I can't have a background going into an Action Node? And that your workaround is to just have what would have been your background as a lower priority layer within that Action Node?

Seems odd, but I'll check it out. I appreciate the input.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Actually, after reinterpreting your reply I tried building my batch setup without attaching the BG clip to anything other than my Action BG. If I needed to access that clip again (which I did - several times) I merely brought in into Batch (sorry CFX) again as many times as needed. Seems to be behaving much better.

Thanks. Would never have thought to try that.
Message 6 of 8
chismoke

Yup, you got it. It doesn't seem to like a single clip piped into both the bkd and an input...at least on my system.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: chismoke

I wonder if MUX works. I'll have to give it a try. In the meantime, at least I can actually see if the software will work for me. Thanks again.
Message 8 of 8
zoigevich

Yes happens some times, for no apparent reason. When happens safe first and render in connect affect without exiting, then when it crashes you can find rendered clip in Lost_+_found folder.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report