Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect FX behaviour

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
732 Views, 8 Replies

Connect FX behaviour

I'm having a bit of trouble in 2015sp1 with Connect FX behaviour & wondering if it's affecting anyone else.

I have a project where I have quite a few libraries but only have one or two open as needed so the system isn't too slow. 

If I am working on a timeline & step into a Connect FX, as soon as I exit out, I get the wheel of death & sometimes it can take quite a few minutes step back to my timeline.

I've noticed that what's happening is that as a result of stepping out of Connect FX, all of my other libraries are now open. 

Why would this be happening & is there a way I can prevent it from happening? 

Thanks in advance 🙂

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
arichards
in reply to: Anonymous

I Could be wrong, but I don't know if it has anything to do with the size of the library but instead the complexity of the CFX? I have noticed that if I have a complex effect (say with high antialiasing and shadows) then it can take an age to exit ConnectFX. Sometimes I even worry that it's crashed. It renders the current frame as it exits to then show that on that frame, and I do myself find this frustrating. If I have got this wrong and this is not your issue then I apologise, but in the risk of hijacking the thread to vent my own frustrations, I would love to be able to have a degraded preview of the timeline instead of the full and real (long) deal. In a similar way to adaptive degredation within cfx, it woudl be good to have something like this and quarter res preview-proxies in the timeline instead of having to wait for ages when you exit CFX or park on a new frame on the timeline. Frameskipping is great and all well and good, but when you have a complex cfx and move and park your positioner on such a thing then the wait can prove to be really really frustrating. Elegant degredation would speed things up a ways...

Cheers

Tony

HP Z840, 80GB Ram, Quadro M6000x24GB
Message 3 of 9
BKM
Advisor
in reply to: arichards

To the original poster.... 

Do you have clips from these libraries in your CFX? That might cause them to be opened upon exit.

Flame/Smoke Editor
Check out the Premiumbeat Smoke Blog
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/category/smoke-2/
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: BKM

I agree that the performance is frustrating at times especially when scrubbing through a timeline & it hits an unrendered effect. Most frustrating too even with text effects where the rendering is ramped up to 16 samples (which for most fonts is necessary) At times I have resorted to not being able to use timeline text effects for this reason, as it just slows everything down too much.

My Connect FX definitely don't contain clips from any other libraries & some of them are very simple with only one or two nodes. Strangely too that once I have had the first behaviour of stepping out of a CFX & it opening all libraries within the project, if for example I do another CFX & step out again, performance is normal.

In other words, I don't necessarily think it is due to the software trying to show a preview frame, I believe there is some bug that is causing all libraries to be opened & this is what slows it down.

Message 5 of 9
Robert.Adam

Hi.

Please give us a call to open a support case.

Regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 6 of 9
ccrewsAutodesk

Summer,

Did you or Autodesk ever come up with a solution?  I am having the exact same issue, using Smoke to handle creative editorial for a feature with each scene occupying it's own library.  I am using a simple CFX to toggle between 2 cameras which peppers the source elements throughout.  At start up accessing CFX is quite lengthy, but afterwards performs well, but now EVERY library is open which slows a "save" dramatically (up to a full minute).

Thx!

Chuck

Message 7 of 9

Greetings Robert,

Just wondering if you recall this issue and if was dealt with?  We are having the exact same issue...using Smoke to handle creative editorial for a feature with each scene occupying it's own library.  I am using a simple CFX to toggle between 2 cameras which peppers the source elements throughout.  At start up accessing CFX is quite lengthy, but after the first instance is out of the way Smoke performs well, but EVERY library is open which slows a "save" dramatically (up to a full minute to complete save).

Thx!

Chuck

Here is the original post:

I'm having a bit of trouble in 2015sp1 with Connect FX behaviour & wondering if it's affecting anyone else.

I have a project where I have quite a few libraries but only have one or two open as needed so the system isn't too slow. 

If I am working on a timeline & step into a Connect FX, as soon as I exit out, I get the wheel of death & sometimes it can take quite a few minutes step back to my timeline.

I've noticed that what's happening is that as a result of stepping out of Connect FX, all of my other libraries are now open. 

Why would this be happening & is there a way I can prevent it from happening? 

Thanks in advance 🙂

Message 8 of 9

Hello,

This is a known issue on our side. We'll do our best to have it fixed for a future release.

fred

Frédéric Warren
User Experience Designer
Message 9 of 9

Thank you Fred.  Technical question then.  Since we have a large number of libraries, and one of them is holding many 90 minute sequences (one for each days work that keeps growing), which slows the system down dramatically when that library is open.  I want to keep them as a backup, but they are not regularly needed.  Would it be advisable to move them to another project for safekeeping to reduce the overhead since I cannot stop ALL libraries from opening? Or do you have any advice as to how to set up a work around for my wish to keep many old sequences?

Chuck

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report