Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combine / Blend frames at different sizes / resolutions

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
KuleshovEffect
698 Views, 5 Replies

Combine / Blend frames at different sizes / resolutions

I'm very new to Smoke, sorry if this is a dumb question.
I'm trying to comp a 720p element on top of a 5k background plate.
When I use the Blend&Comp node, I get No Result, and the message:
"PIPELINE : Unsupported input resolution mix in node"
This happens even if I add Resize node after the 720p element and change the resolution to 5k.
Surely there's a way to composite elements of different frame sizes - what am I missing?

TIA,
Ted

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
imag4media
in reply to: KuleshovEffect

Make sure that the size, aspect ratio, and color depth are the same between the resize and the 5k clip and it should work.
If you've made sure size was the same, then I'd check the other 2.

Hope it helps.
Andy D.
Message 3 of 6
KuleshovEffect
in reply to: imag4media

I had missed color depth, thanks for pointing that out! Now I can connect the nodes.

But that seems like an obtuse way to work - does every clip in CFX have to be the same size?

Coming from After EFfects, that seems odd to me.

Thanks,

Ted

Message 4 of 6
imag4media

I can understand why it's counter-intuitive, although it can occasionally be handy. For instance if I have an artist who renders me out cleanup as 8-bit instead of 16-bit as I expect, the warning can be helpful. Another way to put multirez images together is using an Action node. It'll still bark at you if you try to put mismatched rez/colorspace as a FG/Key layer, but each layer can be it's own distinct size as well as distinct from the BG.

Anyhoo, hope it helped.
Cheers-
Andy D.
Message 5 of 6
KuleshovEffect
in reply to: imag4media

You've been very helpful, thank you!
Message 6 of 6
BKM
Advisor

I will admit that this is one of the things about Smoke that annoys me.
Yes, most of the tools in CFX need to have the clips be the same res and bit depth.

This is why I use ACTION, which allows you to mix different resolution easily. Action has all of the blend Modes and the ability to color correct and key/mask/track in it as well. 

The only thing about Action is that the fill and matte clips entering a media input need to be the same res and bit depth, but that's not too much of an issue. If you need to do a split matte you can resize or use Source Front/Mattes inside of Action to do a split key.

Flame/Smoke Editor
Check out the Premiumbeat Smoke Blog
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/category/smoke-2/

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums