Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Baselight timeline FX

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
svenbox2
756 Views, 5 Replies

Baselight timeline FX

Just been looking at the the Baselight plugin for Avid.... in an ideal world I'd love to see that as a Smoke timeline FX.... snowball's chance?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: svenbox2

I've played with baselight ofx and avid plugins and while nice I can't past the fact that they cost the same as davinci resolve.
Message 3 of 6
svenbox2
in reply to: Anonymous

True - the cost is the same (or more) and I do like Resolve but it does avoid the round trip. The idea of 'picture lock' has been lost where I work - lawyers, execs etc., Is there an ofx version ... so maybe there is hope after all - if/when smoke gets ofx.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Its nothing to do with where you live, your segment of the industry, the people involved or anything other than the modern production process. 'Testing' is to blame.  No one commits to anything anymore, so why expect film to be any different. We are tweaking shot durations on vfx shots until after delivery dates while in my TVC work approval has become such a temporary term that its meaningless.

The biggest problem with testing is the test audience. The only people who will give up their afternoon to go to a TVC screening are; 

- the unemployed

- students

- insane people being 'cared for in the community'

its quite natural that this segment of the general population will say things like 'i have no idea what this commercial with 40 shots of a car is for' which translated to a change order of 'we need to extend the end logo' or 'i dont like red' which translates to 'we need to ensure the grade is more on brand'.

Picture lock? I have clients wanting changes on the director's cut (60 sec) while the real master (15 sec) is still in testing...

What I'd suggest is get your colorist to ouput a .drp from resolve and have a copy of the free version on your smoke box. When the edit changes just load the grade to the new/extended take and export/import to smoke. Its generally only one shot, (well one shot each round of revisions - of course they will all change eventually) so the roundtrip for the grade is less hassle than all the extra roto and tracking you're going to have to do anyway.

I should log off, it's been a long week...

Mike

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Just had a discussion with them.  They are considering it.

I would purchase it tomorrow.

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

+1 for Baselight Edition as a timeline FX.

Probably get lambasted for saying this, but I much prefer the Baselight grading tools to Smoke's.  This is in no way a comment on the functionality or achievable final product.  I just prefer the GUI and it's functionality.  Personal preference.  Heck I like the Nuke grade tool better than Smoke's grading tools.

I have the Baselight plugin Editions in active production.  We like em.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report