Area :: Header
New August Artist of the Month!

Massimo Righi is our August Artist of the Month!
Discussion Groups

General Discussion

*Expert Elite*
*Expert Elite*
BKM

Ask & Answer Smoke 2013 Questions

45 Views, 51 Replies
04-22-2012 10:12 AM
I was one of the demo artist at NAB and I have had my hands on the Smoke 2013 for about a month.
There is only so much you can gleam from videos and blogs. So if you want any first hand info on features shown at NAB or my impressions, please feel free to ask.

Senior Flame/Smoke Editor WTHR-TV
Check out the Premiumbeat Smoke Blog
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/category/smoke-2/
Please use plain text.
Distinguished Contributor
starscream4

Re: Ask & Answer Smoke 2013 Questions

04-22-2012 11:37 AM in reply to: BKM
well..... XD

just one thing.

If i sit on the new one with a Director (who is used to sit in FLAME and SMOKE Suites)

how will i feel. And how will the Director feel.
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
gilpatrick

04-22-2012 11:52 AM in reply to: BKM
Thanks Brian,

From the sounds of it, Desktop Paint has been removed. This is very disappointing. Do you know of any other Desktop tools that have been removed and not replicated exactly in CFX? Specifically, I'm wondering about Average.

Thanks again
---------------------
Greg Gilpatrick
Please use plain text.
*Expert Elite*
*Expert Elite*
BKM

04-22-2012 12:11 PM in reply to: starscream4
If you were sitting with Smoke for Mac 2012 then the biggest change as far as creative power goes is the Node Based compositing of ConnectFX. So much more can be done by linking nodes than could ever be done in the 2012 Module based workflow.

Having that node based workflow that comes from Flame gives Smoke 2013 instant credibility as a high end product coming from Autodesk.

It's still Smoke. Just because the economics have changed doesn't mean the tools and power of what makes Smoke wonderful has changed. In fact, it's even better.

You should feel that you are still working with the best all in one tool set for video production. The Director should feel happy that he still has the same level of quality that he has known from the other Autodesk Systems.

Please use plain text.
*Expert Elite*
*Expert Elite*
BKM

04-22-2012 12:19 PM in reply to: gilpatrick
There is nothing final with the toolset yet. The release isn't until Fall. But at the NAB showing there were no desktop tools becasue they wanted to shift everything or as much as they can toward the timeline.

That being said, there are some processes that still need to be a new media creation process. Average may be one of them, although Average is a node in ConnectFX.

Audio Mixdown and interlace/deinterlace tools are another. I trust that giving the user some access to these basic tools will not escape the developers.

As far as desktop paint... who knows. It's biggest feature from the Paint node in CFX is AutoPaint and paint tracking. I know I do a lot with it. I hope they find someway to retain it, until a proper timeline solution can be achieved.

One major thing that might not be known is that you can add effects to source clips in your Bins/Source Areas. This is was not possible in 2012. So in the same manner you might have run a clip through CC and created new media, or through a FlameFX, you can now add to a source clip. I haven't wrapped by head around it's full usefulness, but it does work like processing through a module, except now it is non-destructive. So you can Average a source clip from the source clips Timeline.

Hard Commit still exists as well an can be used to commit the effect on the source clip.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
peppermintpost

04-22-2012 02:11 PM in reply to: BKM
hey brian,

thank you very much for sharing the newest information with us, i highly appreciate that.
i have a question about the wacom usage. do we have to use a mouse now? i saw that there are mouse right click pulldown menue things going on.

what about compartibility to flame? can the setups be shared, can i directly access flames framestore from smoke? is there still wiretab central?

one of my favirite features in smac 2012 is the fullscreen playback via 2nd monitor graphics card output. is this feature still there?

thx
torsten
Please use plain text.
*Expert Elite*
*Expert Elite*
BKM

04-22-2012 04:02 PM in reply to: peppermintpost
1. Wacoms are still usable and they work fine. Right-click is the back pen button.

2. Setups with Flame should still be fine as the main tools have not changed. Action is still Action, just the UI changed. As I understand, wiretap is still all there, it's just been cleaned up easier to use. Backburner still exists, it's just more transparent. As far as accessing framestores from Flame and moving clips.... this might still be in flux. I would think that DPX frames would be fine, but currently there is still no prores on Linux. So some of these issues are still being developed... stay tuned.

2a. I don't know about WTC... it wan't part of what was needed to be shown at NAB.

3. There is a full screen playback.. I don't think that anything has changed there.

Please use plain text.
Distinguished Contributor
ifffs_user

04-22-2012 06:24 PM in reply to: BKM
Brian, thanks for shedding some light on things.

What about flame hotkeys in user preferences?
2012 SAP2 SP3
Kona 3G driver 10.3.2
Quadro 4000 driver 256.01.00f03
Cuda driver 4.2.10
Mac Pro (mid 2010)
12 Cores / 24 Gigs
CalDigit HD Pro2 (8TB, 723 MB/sec read)
Please use plain text.
*Expert Elite*
*Expert Elite*
BKM

04-22-2012 06:40 PM in reply to: ifffs_user
You know....I never checked. There are FCP hotkeys. There were some subtle hotkey changes to the Smoke default keys regarding the timeline. 'T' is now for thumbnail view for source area tiles. F5 activates timeline view, and F6 & F7 are now source timeline and record timeline focus.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bradaschreiber

04-22-2012 08:19 PM in reply to: BKM
Brian, did Audtodesk include Avid hotkeys? That would be a big help in transitioning, as I know Avid extremely well. Also, as I understand it now there is no 3D tracking option in Smoke 2013, Frederic Warren said that it was being considered. Can you confirm that as of now, Smoke 2013 has no 3D tracking option. Thank you very much Brain.
Please use plain text.