Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

64 bit question

29 REPLIES 29
Message 1 of 30
Anonymous
527 Views, 29 Replies

64 bit question

Hey all, I've decided to build a new comp and to go with xp 64 as my base platform. I'm running a 8800 gtx, 4 gigs of ram, and the low end Intel quad core. I know MB doesn't support 64-bit perse but was wondering if xp 64's 32-bit emulator should be identical in performance to normal 32-bit xp? Man 2.0 can't come fast enough.
29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30
A.Baroody
in reply to: Anonymous

Mudbox works the same in Vista 64bit as it does in XP. So i'd assume it runs fine in xp64. Welcome to 64bit 🙂

I'm running the intel quad QX6700 and 8gigs of ram and i couldnt dream about going back to 32bit. The only real issues are Nvidia's drivers in Vista. But it doesnt effect Mudbox that i can see. It does mess with Softimage though.
Message 3 of 30
Anonymous

mudbox runs fine in xp x64... I use it everyday...Just cant wait until we actually have 64 bit mudbox...then maybe we can extract lvl 6 displacements on a 4096 map.

btw, watercool and overclock that core 2... I have my dual core 6600 running at 3.6 w 2 gigs of ram. My other 2 gigs holds me back at 3.4 when I run 4 gigs total. at this frequency I score 200-215 on the benchmark.
Message 4 of 30
Anonymous

Holy cow........I've always been wary of watercooling. For now I'll stick with tower heatsinks. I think it's about 40C under load. I've been having a lot of problems with generating displacements even with 64 bits. On my old machine I could generate a 3000x3000 displacement "with smooth uvs" and "fill whole maps" on a level 4 mesh. But with xp 64 it tries to split it and then fails during the first bake of the split operation. Trying to do a 4096x4096 32-bit displacement has never happened successfully.....so yeah come on Mudbox 2.
Message 5 of 30
Anonymous

40 c is pretty good for a stock load temp. Keep it under 55c. The core 2's are incredible overclockers. You can easily get from 2.4 to 3.0 on air with the dual cores. With the quads, It's a little lower. I have heard that the recent production of the core 2's dont overclock as well, but I dont know for certain.

As for water cooling, My current rig is my first watercooling experiment. I too have been wary of watercooling in the past. It really is not nearly as daunting as I initially thought. I used the swiftech h20-120. This is a Highly rated setup for reliability and non-leakage. Also I use a fluid called "pc ice" Its not electrically conductive but you lose about 1c worth of cooling power compared to water w/ coolant. Makes me feel a lot safer.

Next step in cooling is installing the swiftech Thermoelectric waterblock which can cool down close to 10c idle and 20c load. But then you have to insulate your motherboard from condensation etc. I don't reccomend this but at those temps you could easily have a 4 ghz core 2 running stable.:eek: :eek: 😛
Message 6 of 30
A.Baroody

i dont like overclocking workstations i need to rely on. How stable is your oc'd computer?
Message 7 of 30
Anonymous

well thats relative... I have 4 gigs of ram...2 gigs are crucial and 2 gigs are corsiar xms2. For some reason the xms2 sucks. with just the 2 gigs of crucial I'm 24 hours prime torture test stable at 3.6 ghz "with one instance of prime per core to put it under a full load." That is also with no memory timing adjustments and a memory divider. The corsair memory throws errors pretty quickly at that speed. So I am prime stable with all 4 gigs at 3.4. No crashes while creating content. When I have to render something that will take a while I just bump my computer down to 3 ghz to ensure stability. Overclocking a workstation is tricky, it has to be 100%, but I'd definitely say its worth it if you're willing to put in the time testing it first.
Message 8 of 30
Anonymous

For now stability and money issues dictate no water cooling or overclocking (if anything got fried because of my foolishness I couldn't afford to replace it now). I'm all about stability and uncluttered-ness. Which is why I'm not even connecting my work station to the net except for windows updates periodically. I've found that shutting down processes makes it possible to bake out the 3kx3k displacements....which seems crappy, but will do until the next rev is released.
Message 9 of 30
Son_Kim

Just cant wait until we actually have 64 bit mudbox...then maybe we can extract lvl 6 displacements on a 4096 map.

According the the updated FAQ page:

mudbox3d.com/faqs.html#5

"Is Mudbox 64 bit compatible?

Though some Mudbox artists use Mudbox on XP 64, Mudbox 1.0 is not certified for 64 bit operating systems. We recommend testing Mudbox on your computer to confrim acceptable performance before purchasing. Mudbox 2.0, however, is designed to operate on and take advantage of 64 bit operating systems."

I hope it still rocks! on a 32-bit system, i don't plan on building a new computer for a couple of years.
Message 10 of 30

SO you can run any 32 bit app in a 64 bit environment then?
Message 11 of 30
Anonymous

SO you can run any 32 bit app in a 64 bit environment then?

yes! I've been using 64-bit xp for about three months now and I've had absolutely no problems with any of my 32-bit programs. In fact some of them seem to run a little better. Mudbox definitely seems to run better fine 64-bit. Call me crazy. The difference with maya64bit has been tremendous for me. If that is what I can expect when everything is 64-bit, 64bit mudbox and photoshop are going to be killer!

The only programs that are problematic on 64-bit, are the programs with 16-bit installers, since xp64 doesn't support 16-bit apps, you can't install them. This unfortunately knocks out 95% percent of your antivirus software. And it knocks out zonealarm which has been my life's bread. Zonealram was one of the best programs I ever installed and the moment I did, I kissed any problem with virus's and adware goodbye. I miss it sorely on 64-bit xp. Fortunately nvdia's hardware firewall works almost as good with some tinkering.

As far as drivers are concerned, I haven't had a single instance where I couldn't find a driver that I needed. The only driver I've had a little problem with has been the driver to my wacom (intous 3). The 64-bit version is very buggy and disappears at times, so I have to reboot.
Message 12 of 30

Good, I thought I might have to install a 32 bit version as well.
I've never bothered with antivirus or firewalls (apart from the default XP one) and I've never had any problems in 7 years.
I think the threat is way overestimated and exaggerated by the companies who sell 'solutions'.
To me, that's like taking painkillers every day, just in case you get a headache.

It's all just a matter of being a sensible computer user.
Message 13 of 30
Anonymous

Good, I thought I might have to install a 32 bit version as well.
I've never bothered with antivirus or firewalls (apart from the default XP one) and I've never had any problems in 7 years.
I think the threat is way overestimated and exaggerated by the companies who sell 'solutions'.
To me, that's like taking painkillers every day, just in case you get a headache.

It's all just a matter of being a sensible computer user.

I hear you on that. I used to have problems once upon a time when I used IE because it let's certain sites install crap into your computer without your knowledge. But firefox doesn't have that problem.

By the way, Oddity, you might be interested in this month's (september 2007) issue of 3Dworld. It has a hardware guide/pullout. It has an article about consumer video cards vs workstation cards. The conclusion is basically the same as yours. That if you are a freelancer, or a very small company, then you are probably better off getting something like the 8800, and putting the extra money into something like more ram, a better proc, or faster drives.
Message 14 of 30

This months (september 2007) ??
What calendar are they using? Chinese?

Now that you've told me the conclusion, and I'd already reached it on my own, there's no point reading the article 🙂
You should have put it in spoiler tags. 😛
Message 15 of 30
Anonymous

This months (september 2007) ??
What calendar are they using? Chinese?

Now that you've told me the conclusion, and I'd already reached it on my own, there's no point reading the article 🙂
You should have put it in spoiler tags. 😛

lol! :DI have a subscription so I get the september issue before the august issue gets to the stands in the US. I gave you the conclusion, because, your machine will probably be up and running before the september issue hits the stands.

Goos luck on your machine 🙂
Message 16 of 30

I don't even see the point in having a September issue then. That means when it's released in September, the 'news' in it will be 2 - 3 months old.
It's all a big con so they can give a non-existent perk to subscribers.
What you've got there is the July issue, it's just that they stick 'September' on it and call it your subscriber bonus 😉
Message 17 of 30
Anonymous

I don't even see the point in having a September issue then. That means when it's released in September, the 'news' in it will be 2 - 3 months old.
It's all a big con so they can give a non-existent perk to subscribers.
What you've got there is the July issue, it's just that they stick 'September' on it and call it your subscriber bonus 😉

I know, it's really silly.
Message 18 of 30
Anonymous

According the the updated FAQ page:

mudbox3d.com/faqs.html#5

"Is Mudbox 64 bit compatible?

... Mudbox 2.0, however, is designed to operate on and take advantage of 64 bit operating systems."

I'm guessing that 2.0 is still a 32bit app but able to access max memory allowable under 64bit for a 32bit program - 4gigs. Much like ZBrush which is still a 32bit program, but 64bit compatible.

If so, there should be speed improvements.

As far as antivirus, I use Avast 64bit Home Edition which is free. Firewall is whatever comes with the OS, plus the hardware firewall of my router (Apple airport).

I run XP64 on a quadcore with 6gigs. Pushing high polycounts, ZBrush slows down, as well as 1.0 (trial). I would rather these two programs be 64bit already...
Message 19 of 30

How many polys can you guys with quadcore/6-8 gigs of ram and a top video card push in mudbox before slowdowns?
I can get about 250k with ease. and my old system is 3 years old now.
Message 20 of 30
2bytes

I max out with 6million polys on a single mesh, but with hard drive streaming, I can have several objects in the scene that will total much more then that (i dont know the max yet)

comp:
Dual Opteron 270s
7800 Gtx
2gb Ram

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report