Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

model over cloud point

model over cloud point

Fusion 360 should model over cloud point of cloud our imported mesh, it would be nice also to import a solid like stl our obj an model over it, and grabbing some edges our points from the imported model from a cloud point for exemple

9 Comments
jeffwaldosand
Enthusiast

Agreed.  Fusion needs a type of snap tool in that if you dragged a surface up to other geometry (imported or native) it would reshape the geometry to match.  Like a vacuum form sheet over a pattern.  Better yet add dimensional driven off set option while your are at it.  

kat.ingalls
Alumni
TRACERfire
Advocate

As a workaround I loaded an OBJ file into Rhino, then converted it into a closed NURB surface and exported as a STEP file.

Then I dragged the STEP file into Fusion and waited for translation.

Worked a treat.

I can use facets of the Polymesh to create sketches, project onto sketches and also snap to while drawing on a plane.

Native OBJ import is the best solution but this workaround wasn't terribly time consuming.

Just a wallet hit for some in having to purchase Rhino 😉

TRACERfire
Advocate

There's been a bit of talk about loading an OBJ file and using Fusion 360 to resurface a polyface model.

Snapping the Lines and Vertices of T-Spline bodies to Sketch and Construction elements would go a long way toward making resurfacing/reverse engineering modelling a far more streamlined process.

Tags (3)
deyop
Alumni

We are investigating reverse engineering workflows now so your comments are welcome. Please keep them coming.

There is a method for "snapping"  T-Spline edges to a sketch profile or the edge of a solid body.  The command is called Match.  You can find how it works here.

You can also "snap" vertices to a construction plane with the Flatten Command.  Here is a video that shows how the command works.  If you select by face or edge prior to entering the command all the related vertices will be used as input.  The vertices flatten to a best fit plane initially but you can also flatten them to a construction plane.  The Parallel Plane option uses the input plane definition but keeps the vertices close to their current location.  Here is a video on how to Flatten.

TRACERfire
Advocate

I use Match and Flatten quite a bit for straightening and smoothing some of the "more organic" elements of my designs.

Thank-you for posting the tutorial video though 🙂

The way I envision "snapping" the Vertices and Edge of T-Spline to Construction, Sketch, and other geometry (Model, Patch, Imported OBJ files, etc) is to drag a vertex and it magnetically snaps to the geometry.

Basically, a free-form snap tool that allow you to quickly trace over and existing 3D reference form.

schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選
We totally agree. There is progress on this as we speak and we should have a solid solution by AU this year on this. What size/kind of models are you hoping to import?
schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: 実装予定
schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented
October 2013 update included import of mesh (obj and stl) and the ability to model over it with TSplines.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea