Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

involute gear tooth tool

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
asmenor
7664 Views, 18 Replies

involute gear tooth tool

It'd be great to have an included tool (like the ones for making fillets, chamfers, and threading) that would add involute gear teeth and allow the user to go back and edit the properties or number of gear teeth later.

Labels (2)
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
vaclav_prchlik
in reply to: asmenor

I clearly see the need. Please would you take a look at Gear Tool proposal video (http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Fusion-360-IdeaStation-Request-a/Bolted-Connection-for-Fusion/idc-p/48... Would that help? I would really welcome any suggestions.

Gear Details.jpg

Thanks,

Vasek 

Message 3 of 19
CurdZechmeister

Vasek, 

I am not sure how far you have gotten with the Gear Tool but I personally could use this right now. I find drawing gears in Fusion 360 very difficult and working and re-working gears without a generator tools is a real pain. If you have already finished this tool can you please let me know where I could find it?

Thank You

CZ 

Message 4 of 19
ItinerantProf

I agree that a gear making tool would be greatly useful. Any progress on this tool?

thanks, Bill Havens

Message 5 of 19
jodom4

I would also love to have a Gear Tool. I'm having to dig up my PC and do my gears in Inventor, when I'd much rather do the whole process on my Mac in Fusion.

Jonathan Odom
Community Manager + Content Creator
Oregon, USA

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider

Message 6 of 19
schneik-adsk

In the short term check out the script to create spur gears in the September update.

Kevin Schneider
Message 7 of 19
schneik-adsk

Kevin Schneider
Message 8 of 19
roambotics_scott

Thanks definitely something but it only seems to work for external spur gears not internal gears and it'd be very useful to be able to have some UI to align those to cylindrical surfaces.

..I won't be holding my breath for helical or herringbone 🙂

Message 9 of 19
phazaar

Seems to be a fair few reposts of this idea. It's a necessity in my mind.

Message 10 of 19
fritz_chile

hi! iam using the script that comes with fusion, but i have a lot of problems doing basic things, any update?

Message 11 of 19
roambotics_scott

Sorry @fritz_chile I don't think so 😞

@schneik-adsk - I'd really like to clear the «solution provided» flag here. This idea has 20 votes. I'm sure there are others that are basically the same thing with more votes.

This is kinda a big deal for a lot of people.

Whatever happened to that demo video ? That actually looked like it was heading in the right direction and it's over two years old now IIRC.

Message 12 of 19
geogod2066
in reply to: vaclav_prchlik

I believe that adding a tool like this would greatly benefit the Autodesk and CAD community. Right now I use the Autodesk Inventor gear tool to create gears, but it is a hassle to export and import files and such to continue a design. 

Message 13 of 19
HughesTooling
in reply to: geogod2066

Have you tried the gear script that come with Fusion? Or are you making something non standard?

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 14 of 19
geogod2066
in reply to: HughesTooling

I have tried using he tool, but I find the my previous method using
inventor more effective so I'm still using that instead of the built in tool
Message 15 of 19
HughesTooling

Have you tried it lately, it was updated a while ago and works a lot better than the old version.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 16 of 19
geogod2066
in reply to: HughesTooling

I have tried to use it however, the tool lacks the ability to easily mesh
gears and place gears based on center points. I have to joint the gears to
two center points on a body and then scale them in order for them to mesh
correctly.
Message 17 of 19
HughesTooling

Sounds like you are making custom gears that fit a predefined pitch, that's a bit more of challenge. Are you working in mm or inches? It's not difficult to work out the module for a given centre distance given the number of teeth on each gear, it's just the centre distance divided by the total teeth on both gears divided by 2.

Here's an example of how you can set up parameters to calculate the Module, you can even enter the parameter Module in the gear dialog. I't not parametric after the gear's drawn.

( CentreDistance / 1 mm ) / ( ( Gear1Teath + Gear2Teeth ) / 2 )

Clipboard05.png

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 18 of 19
HughesTooling

If you're working in inches change the gear dialog to Metric and use the parameters below.

( Distance / 1 mm ) / ( ( Gear1Teeth + Gear2Teeth ) / 2 )

Clipboard05.png

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 19 of 19
brighamanimator

(This is a great thread!) I've been using the plugin FMGear in Fusion360. It's excellent, pretty flexible, but what I need at the moment is an involute gear design, ('pointier teeth' basically) which does not seem possible with FMGear. If anyone has any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report