Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WACOM Support - Better Direct Entry options for us non-mouse users...

WACOM Support - Better Direct Entry options for us non-mouse users...

Hey, while I love Fusion360, I'm a Wacom Tablet and laptop trackpad user. I can't use a mouse because of wrist problems.

The way Direct Entry works in Fusion360 makes it incredibly difficult for me to use.

The way it currently works is that you type in a value, which then sort of 'locks' the current sketch operation to the length entered, then you click to confirm. If you move the mouse a bit, it then cancels out the Direct Entry.

The problem is, it's almost impossible to do the click to confirm without moving the pointer a tiny bit when working with a Wacom or certain trackpads, for the act of returning your hand to the tablet moves the pointer. Even if you attempt to type in a value with your left hand, if your right hand (holding the stylus) even moves a tiny, tiny amount (the 'Pro' Wacom tables are crazy sensitive!) it then cancels out your Direct Entry.

I cannot convey with text alone how annoying this is.

So if there was an option to increase this 'move to cancel' distance or somehow turn it off altogether it would make using Fusion a whole heck of a lot more fun for me.

3 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1

On the Wacom you also can't zoom properly without selecting the zoom tool from the HUD. Very annoying.

schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration
We have looked into this and it's a deep problem. We have another older thread here where we are looking to hear how many users have tablets and how people might want to use them. http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Collaborate-and-Partner/Calling-all-Wacom-users/td-p/3841355
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, my current setup is (both for desktop and laptop):

- left hand = Apple trackpad + keyboard

- right hand = Wacom Stylus or Bamboo (more portable)

Yes, using the Wacom Tablets with Fusion 360 is a real pain.

I agree that It's not elegant to 'patch' problems with custom options but in this case, considering that the tablets here are barely usable, why not add some control option in the preference pane?

Here my suggestions:
- maybe the lack of a real middle mouse button could be 'simply' fixed by an option that permits the use of the right button instead.
- the 'direct entry problem' could be addressable by making that as I start typing, it stops taking values from the relative mouse coordinate. Pretty much the same thing that happens when you press Enter on the keyboard (even here with an on/off switch).

- the weird zoom behaviour seems to be caused by a setting adjusted on the trackpad sesibility, I wonder if it would be possible to add a setting adjusted on the tablet sensitivity and than let the user choose among them.

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report