Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scripting interface and user plugins

Scripting interface and user plugins

A simple way to expose all design functions to a scripting language (I like Ruby myself, but Python or any other would do).

I find that there are lots of things that I do that are detailed, repetitive, and seem like they could easily be automated.

Would be very cool if there were a simple way to add new features and exchange them with other users on the team or in the community.

10 Comments
samenor
Enthusiast

This apparently already exists to some extent. I found that there is a Python / Neutron API. Not perfect but works.

fsamir
Participant

Where the documentation for the Python APi would be?

Thanks,

Franklin

samenor
Enthusiast

Not sure on a PC but on a Mac, it's in

~/Library/Application Support/Autodesk/Autodesk Fusion 360/MyScripts/Documentation

and there are some samples in the parent directory.

lure23
Collaborator

Thanks, samenor

My first glimpse on the code:

<<

s = 'There are '
s += str(len(comps))
s += ' components, '
s += str(nbodies)
s += ' bodies and '
s += str(len(occs))
s += ' occurrences, of which '
s += str(noccsWithBodies)
s += ' have bodies and '
s += str(noccsWithProps)
s += ' have occurrence specific properties.'

<<

I'm no Python expert but I'm nearly sure that that's not the right way to do it. *sigh*

Spank your script people, please!

prabakarm
Alumni

We are targeting a fully baked Python scripting for the december update.  We did expose a small subset but it is not fully baked. 

Samenor, I am glad it is working for you.  I am sorry but we might have to break compatibility when we release the december update.

Will you guys be willing to beta test the scripting engine as we develop it further.

Prabakar.

samenor
Enthusiast
«working» is a bit of a stretch.. but it's there so that's at least something 🙂

Definitely don't mind if you beak backwards compatibility if it improves the API and I'm happy to beta test.
lure23
Collaborator

The scripting documentation says:

<<

All Neutron processing from Python happens via TextCommands. This is very useful because it makes it easier to support other language bindings.

<<

Any more info on this 'TextCommands'?

I'm interested in making a Scala/JVM interface for Fusion 360, hopefully together with others.

herzinj
Alumni
Status changed to: Implemented

Ming providing a link to the API docs ? 

gah - «d» not «g»

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report